• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

48XX and DX11?

Associate
Ok, I read somewhere that the 48XX series will be able to play DX11 games, something to do with DX11 being backwards compatible, I can't quite see that personally but I just wondered if anyone could confirm it for me?

Soldato
I'm guessing it's not going to be a big drama, until DX11 is really ultilized by games. I suspect your 48xx card will be fine for a good while yet.

Yep, Until something comes out that uses DX11 and looks loads better and you really want it there is no need to upgrade.

Associate
Yep, Until something comes out that uses DX11 and looks loads better and you really want it there is no need to upgrade.

Lol well bearing in mind that cod 4 is based on dx9 and has superb graphics i doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Caporegime
They will play DX11 games in DX 10 or 10.1...just the way DX9 cards play DX10 games in DX9...

Technically, no, a DX9 card can not in any way at all play a dx10 game, it can play a dx9 game and thats it. DX10/9 are not in any way compatible, games that support DX10 have a dx10 .exe and a dx9.exe versions of the game engine and generally the installer will automatically install the right version of a game, also choosing to install 64bit versions where possible.

DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10 though, its built on the same code and if you played a DX11 game, with dx10(dx10.1 hardware) it will use all features in DX11 it can utilise and not anything it doesn't support. Because DX11 supports all features DX10 does. DX11 games will come with a dx11.exe and a dx9.exe if they support them.

Associate
OP
Thanks drunkenmaster, I've been recently learning DX and I read that DX10 couldn't be used by DX9 cards, so I had assumed this was the case in all senarios, its good to clear this up.

So in reality, the only thing about using a DX10 card for DX11 is just losing a few features, and possibly a few optimised functions?

Associate
Alot of idiots are stuck on XP.

whattt?? :S thats crazy!! xp is aweful imo :S i would consider it ancient now! really annoys me when i see people with xp on there pc's...its like...why!!?? windows 7 should be a mandatory upgrade. haha its lightyears ahead of xp. people on xp..holding back gaming!! yet they blame consoles. haha

Soldato
XP is awful, terrible, goddamit why won't it DIE.

MAYBE it's because windows 7 only became available to buy today and Vista was a very suspicious "upgrade" from XP.

Associate
haha yeah. but its been available as an RC for ages! and windows vista was better than xp despite what some people say. xp was horrible. although it was nice 9 years ago. haha. not now. it feels like ur running a top spec pc on coal if ya hold back from upgrading to a new os. anyway...wish they would finally do away with DX9. its sooo old

Associate
OP
I'm still on XP on both my PC and my netbook, because Vista keeps dying on me, now its at the stage where it won't even boot outside of safe mode so I'm sticking with XP until my new PC (I used to use XP for games because I get better FPS on XP than Vista).

Vista in my opinion was the ME of this generation of Microsoft OSs, I'll upgrade to W7 when I build my new PC, but I have no desire to ever use Vista again, its given me nothing but problems.

Either way, its besides the point, a lot of games that have been brought out were based on either DX9 game upgrades (easier to reuse code than start again), DX9 engines, or the coders were too lazy to learn the stuff in DX10 at the time. Obviously things have progressed a lot in the past couple of years though.

Top Bottom