• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700G now, or wait for the 7000 series?

Soldato
Nope, 5700G is a Zen 3 part derived from the Cezanne mobile design. Monolithic, half the cache, still 8c/16t Zen 3 arch.

The OP isn't gaming.
He said he would game..please read th first post again. Edit: I was wrong. I read the :swapping out old gaming rig part as he was replacing it, and missed the clear 'I don't game anymore' lol. Apologies.

The 5700g PERFORMANCE is 3xxx like, regardless of what they put on the box. << EDIT: Again I was wrong here. LePhuronn is correct. Productivity loads with this chip are better. gaming sucks with APU or dGPU on them (for the money spent), but productivity looks good. The missing cache is what kills the gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actual reviews disagree
Reviews I read showed performance was on par with 3xxx :p When you added in a dGPU it all fell apart. (To be fair I was only looking at gaming performance with them, not productivity, so again, my recommendation here could be utterly flawed if we look specifically at productivity loads).

Last edited:
Soldato
In gaming maybe. In productivity, MT performance isn't that far off a 5800X, although ST performance drops off a bit, but still a good chunk better than Ryzen 3000.

More than likely workload dependant as always.
Yeah, edited my previous comment. Looks like you are more on the ball here. I had focussed on gaming loads, not productivity loads. Certainly seems like I was incorrect and the 5700g (to my surprise) actually does quite well here.

Associate
A safe predicition is that new 7000 series processors will be more expensive, and lack budget options just like at start of Zen3
motherboards will be more expensive, to support high integrity ddr5 andpcie5 signals
ddr5 memory itself is still ridiculously expensive

and release date "fall 2022" is weirdly unspecific. Could be November

Soldato
A safe predicition is that new 7000 series processors will be more expensive, and lack budget options just like at start of Zen3
motherboards will be more expensive, to support high integrity ddr5 andpcie5 signals
ddr5 memory itself is still ridiculously expensive

and release date "fall 2022" is weirdly unspecific. Could be November

A hell of a lot of pain for very little gain.

I don't think the release date is weirdly unspecific though, everyone knows when Autumn is, games, GPU's, many tech products all have projected quarterly release dates in many cases.

Associate
A hell of a lot of pain for very little gain.

I don't think the release date is weirdly unspecific though, everyone knows when Autumn is, games, GPU's, many tech products all have projected quarterly release dates in many cases.
That's the thing, the current 5700G works for OP and can be paired with a really cheap motherboard making it insane value.

People speculating wildly about performance of a product that hasn't even been released yet doesn't help OP in potentially needing a new rig now.

Associate
AMD have already been very clear in what to expect from the 7000 series GPU aspect … or more to the point, what not to expect. ( See the PCWorld video talking to the AMD guys about the announcement ) … and to summarise, not to expect a lot. AMD I think even used a phrase similar to ”cant stress enough to not expect too much“ iirc.

Essentially, they said not to expect to be able to game on it, but that it will handle the bulk of day to day stuff like office work, watching videos and basic encoding perhaps. Its got enough grunt to get a reasonable display on a machine up and running, but not much more.

With that in mind, I’m going to say that the 7000 stuff wont be anything like as GPU powerful as the 5700G Is just now.

So to answer the OP, I think at the moment, whilst you may get more cpu performance from 7000 stuff, that’ll be at a cost of price, and lesser GPU. I’d buy the 5700G personally at the moment rather than wait, I think its the better value option, even after waiting.

Top Bottom