• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 7900XT, 90% to 130% faster than 6900XT, MCM, Q4 2022.

Associate
Here is what I find funny and perplexing

RTX4000 is rumoured to be 600mm2 and 600w TDP

RDNA3 is rumoured to be 800m2 and 500w TDP

How does the significantly smaller GPU use more power?

The 800mm2 RDNA3 chip contains up to 7 chiplets with gaps between them.

So like the Ryzen MCM design with the IO die on one side and a couple chiplets on the other side. There's big gaps of empty space around each chiplet. Empty space doesn't consume any power or generate heat.

So that 800mm2 design may only have 600mm2 of stuff inside.

Last edited:
Soldato

Old Rumor

New Rumor :eek::eek:

If the new rumor is true that it's on a single GCD...Then they are suggesting performance over the 6900xt based per GCD and not the entire GPU die.
All Aboard!!!! chooo...choooo...:cry:

:D

Oh lol, so MCM GPUs didn't work out. I wonder what's the hold up, bad latency? Driver issues?

Soldato
Looks like AMD is already releasing some software updates for rdna3, video codec patch released but so far seems to indicate rdna3 doesn't support AV1 encoding for streaming

"it should be noted that the Navi 31 GPU code only lists AVC, HEVC encoding and AVC, HEVC, JPEG, VP9 and AV1 decoding capability, as of now there is no sign of the AV1 encoding"

Associate
Here is what I find funny and perplexing

RTX4000 is rumoured to be 600mm2 and 600w TDP

RDNA3 is rumoured to be 800m2 and 500w TDP

How does the significantly smaller GPU use more power? Nvidia must be pushing those clock speeds way over board, I foresee massive amounts of undervolting will be possible

That being said, since the leakers now say AMD has cut all RDNA3 GPU core counts by 20% they may no longer have a 500w TDP GPU and it may not be 800m2 anymore
Well they are different GPU’s made by different companies with different architecture for starters.

They are using that much power in order to stay competitive.

Associate
Feels like AMD are holding back, if they are then I hope its for producing a better more consumable product.

The absolute worst case imho would be they produce something that is cheaper to manufacture, closer to Nvidia perf specs and charge the same or similar.

Very hard to make any decisions as a consumer I think the sensible thing is to let Nvidia launch as see what happens in Q4, there are simply too many variables.

Soldato
I believe Nvidia is targerting Q4 for their launch. When is AMD planning on launching RDNA3?

Also what happened to the dedicated RDNA 3 thread?

Soldato
I've bought double gpu on a pcb AMD cards the last 3 times they released them. Always had a hellish time having to use half the card in most games and awful stuttering in all others. I'm buying whoever has the largest single monolithic design next time. I've learned my lesson. Never ever buy a new idea the first release! (RTX, MCM, SLI, Crossfire)

Soldato
I've bought double gpu on a pcb AMD cards the last 3 times they released them. Always had a hellish time having to use half the card in most games and awful stuttering in all others. I'm buying whoever has the largest single monolithic design next time. I've learned my lesson. Never ever buy a new idea the first release! (RTX, MCM, SLI, Crossfire)
I'm not sure why the confusion persists. AMD aren't making dual GPU cards. AFAIK the MCM design won't be visible to the operating system so will appear as one GPU. I do agree though about not being a beta tester, unless you are prepared for a few issues!

Soldato

You are already using an MCM design in your Ryzen 5900 , AMD have been using the tech since 2017.

Associate
Feels like AMD are holding back, if they are then I hope its for producing a better more consumable product.

The absolute worst case imho would be they produce something that is cheaper to manufacture, closer to Nvidia perf specs and charge the same or similar.

Very hard to make any decisions as a consumer
I think the sensible thing is to let Nvidia launch as see what happens in Q4, there are simply too many variables.

Just wait for both to launch and get the best that fits your needs.

Soldato
I think AMD is going to take the outright raster performance crown, Nvidia targeting crazy power draw for the flagship card shows that they are worried.

At this stage in time RT crown is more important anyway, top GPUs currently have enough Raster horsepower to drive the top screens on the market, it's only RT that lags behind

Top Bottom