Anyone used Karshare?

Soldato
Either as a renter or an owner, but more the latter.

Tempted to give it a try. I'm not precious about my car but it looks like I could command a decent price. Having said that it's not much about the money, I barely use it really so it would just put it to better use.

I imagine this is probably the second worst place to ask after Piston Heads as anyone who's "into" cars would probably only let a random drive their car over their dead body, but still, thought I'd ask!

Soldato
IB4 this is a car enthusiasts forum...

Oh wait you had it covered in the OP :D

I imagine this is probably the second worst place to ask after Piston Heads as anyone who's "into" cars would probably only let a random drive their car over their dead body, but still, thought I'd ask!

Soldato
What if you need it and you can't use it because some random is using it?

What if the person ysing it rags the crap out of it? Leaving you with large bills?

Why would you even entertain this

Soldato
What if you need it and you can't use it because some random is using it?

What if the person ysing it rags the crap out of it? Leaving you with large bills?

Why would you even entertain this

I have a second car and access to two others. As I said I barely use it and all use is planned so I would block out the calendar.

It's electric. It can be "ragged" but nowhere near to the same degree. I believe I can even set pin-protected speed limits and acceleration modes (need to check, it falls into valet mode, but really not as worried as you are), and all usage is logged at like 5s intervals.

Pretty sure I covered the last question in my OP.

Caporegime
I have a second car and access to two others. As I said I barely use it and all use is planned so I would block out the calendar.

It's electric. It can be "ragged" but nowhere near to the same degree. I believe I can even set pin-protected speed limits and acceleration modes (need to check, it falls into valet mode, but really not as worried as you are), and all usage is logged at like 5s intervals.

I’d be concerned that someone with no sympathy for the vehicle was abusing fast charging consistently, and causing premature battery degredation.

Well, I’d also be concerned that Average Joe would treat the car like crap in general.

Soldato
If you barely use it and have a second car, then why not sell it? Seems the more obvious choice.

Soldato
How does insurance work for this?

They provide it when hired. Looking at costs it looks like they cover it by both charging the hirer and from the cut of the owner's fee.

If you barely use it and have a second car, then why not sell it? Seems the more obvious choice.

Because I need it sometimes...

Can people just answer the OP? If you haven't used it I'm not sure you have much to add. I'm not stupid and I'm clearly aware of the 'risks' and have already taken that into account vs the benefits.

Soldato
In your situation i probably would consider it too. I often think the whole "People rag hire cars" is overplayed, i certainly don't treat mine like crap and i imagine the majority of people don't either and it's just a minority of idiots that would.

What happens in regards to cleaning inbetween hires? I assume it just stays on your drive and people turn up whenever they need to use it?

Man of Honour

I'm not sure you did. You seemed to rule out the only reason most people would consider doing this for, if it isn't because you need the money why would you even consider it?

Soldato
I'm not sure you did. You seemed to rule out the only reason most people would consider doing this for, if it isn't because you need the money why would you even consider it?
Wasted capacity, unutilised asset - the reason why you and I disagree on summoning car services.

There is zero point in a car "standing ready" with such limited use. Put that thing to work for you.

Unless you only want to make income by selling your body/time?

Man of Honour
Wasted capacity, unutilised asset

Unless you only want to make income

But this is my point. He's said it isn't about that. When the reality is of course its about the money, money is the only reason you'd want to go to the hassle of allowing random people to rent your car.

Soldato
OK good point the lowest common denominator is money. There could be zero other motivation than money.

Caporegime
Wasted capacity, unutilised asset - the reason why you and I disagree on summoning car services.

There is zero point in a car "standing ready" with such limited use. Put that thing to work for you.

Unless you only want to make income by selling your body/time?
Well you could argue its a wasted production of a car with a load of sunk carbon to sit on the drive and not really pay any of it back, so really the question is, why build it in the first place.

If it's really not being used at all then surely selling it would be the ideal situation as i imagine it would command a decent price, unless its on a lease deal? I guess low running costs of EV dont really appeal if you dont use it. (I assume this is the Model 3?)

Money is the one yes, if its about being green (the alternative) then that doesnt make sense either?

Soldato
Well you could argue its a wasted production of a car with a load of sunk carbon to sit on the drive and not really pay any of it back, so really the question is, why build it in the first place.

If it's really not being used at all then surely selling it would be the ideal situation as i imagine it would command a decent price, unless its on a lease deal? I guess low running costs of EV dont really appeal if you dont use it. (I assume this is the Model 3?)

Money is the one yes, if its about being green (the alternative) then that doesnt make sense either?
Unutilised assets is not just about being green. In fact to your point once the car has been produced it is pretty much diminishing returns from there-on unless it avoids the production of a new car entirely.

As an example...my car is doing <6k a year. I need to service it at 1 year or 10k miles. I need to replace the tyres at 5 years old (or whatever). I have to take it "on a good run" every now and then to warm it up/preventative maintenance. I may as well sell those 4k miles to someone who actually needs to use the car (avoiding them buying a car?) and maintain the rest of my lifestyle strategy plus get a few quid along the way.

Alternatively I sell the car and then buy it back when I need/want it? :confused:

I have considered it before but not a chance when you consider reasonable wear and tear on these schemes can include minor kerbing/door dings etc. I look after my car religiously so the money doesn't offset the worry.

Soldato
For those who think money is the only motivator - I hope you aren't in charge of people at your place of work. Or if you are, I hope you dish out liberal cash in lieu of benefits/culture/experiences/work life balance :D

Soldato
I mean, it's clearly about the money isn't it. No way would I let someone loose in my Tesla unless I was really desperate to keep it but couldn't afford to otherwise.

Caporegime
Unutilised assets is not just about being green. In fact to your point once the car has been produced it is pretty much diminishing returns from there-on unless it avoids the production of a new car entirely.

As an example...my car is doing <6k a year. I need to service it at 1 year or 10k miles. I need to replace the tyres at 5 years old (or whatever). I have to take it "on a good run" every now and then to warm it up/preventative maintenance. I may as well sell those 4k miles to someone who actually needs to use the car (avoiding them buying a car?) and maintain the rest of my lifestyle strategy plus get a few quid along the way.

Alternatively I sell the car and then buy it back when I need/want it? :confused:

I have considered it before but not a chance when you consider reasonable wear and tear on these schemes can include minor kerbing/door dings etc. I look after my car religiously so the money doesn't offset the worry.
I’m not on about your situation. Im
On about the OP who has a Tesla from new produced for him.

Top Bottom