Assistance with moving router with hardwired Ethernet

Associate
Hi guys, I need some assistance with some methods on how to link up Ethernet cables that are in a separate room to the router, preferably without having to extend the current cables and run them a long way and through a solid wall.

I have a virgin media hub 4 which as far as I know doesn’t have wireless bridge capability otherwise I would’ve linked to a tp link wireless modem I have.

I can’t think of any other alternative to make this work with what I currently have and like I said, I’d really prefer it if we could avoid running extra cable as it would be a real messy pain in the butt

If you ha e any questions please feel free to ask as this probably sounds just as confusing to you as it does in my head

Cheers
Liam

Associate
Put a switch where the router is currently and pull a single new ethernet cable to where the router is going. Fill in some of the blanks, why you moving the router, cant run a cable under the floor ect

Soldato
Well you’re right about one thing, you genuinely sound confused and that’s translates to a not great post. Generally you would have one feed from the router to a switch in the room, you say you can’t because of a solid wall. Then you say the hub has no bridge facility - it doesn’t need one, the client device handles that and the router knows nothing about it, but if the wall is solid and in the way, then that’s not generally going to end well.

Can it be done in other ways? Sure. Power line sucks, but may give you a few hundred mbit if you are lucky, mesh with dedicated wireless backhaul or ideally wired backhaul (sounds like one of the links would have to run wirelessly). TBH I would likely find a way to run cable, it’s absolutely the most reliable/best option and a solid wall isn’t really a problem unless it’s 3ft thick… those are fun.

Soldato
a solid wall isn’t really a problem unless it’s 3ft thick granite… those are fun.

Fixed that for you. There’s a sandstone castle being renovated just west of Edinburgh and 3’ of sandstone turned out to be child’s play for a 1.5m bit and an SDS hammer drill. But the same installer did a similar job in Aberdeen and that was granite. It reputedly cost him £100 in drill bits to get through. And it wasn’t a big hole - 12mm iirc.

Soldato
I'm unsure what OP is even asking for. You have ethernet in 2 rooms, but want to link them up without extending cables?

Surely if they all go back to the same place, as others mentioned just put a £10 5-port gigabit switch in and leave your router as it is?

Associate
what about taking a cable outside through an exterior wall and bringing it back in a different room

Top Bottom