BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Yeah, that was my initial thinking. I would cost me ~£5k to replace it like for like, but the ones currently for sale are either ropey for sub £4k, or lower mileage, overpriced ones around £7k.

It's getting collected and being assessed on Monday, so I will know more by the middle of next week

Suspect if its only worth £5k, i can see that repair easily adding up to more than enough for them to write it off sadly.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised they haven't just written it off from the pictures to be honest, if it's worth £5k.

At insurance prices, you've got:

- 1k+ for any suspension parts

- £1.5k~ for the door

- £300 for the wheel

- No idea how they would sort the crease on the inside door sill area, but it won't be easy or cheap

So I would be planning for it to be written off, unfortunately.

+ all the associated courtesy car costs etc..

This too, good point.

Caporegime
Not keen on the red bits really.
But it has a threaded rear light thingy and yellow headlights ! Lol

Would have expected a bigger weight saving with it being a two seater too. But hey it’s fast around the N ring right.

Personally I think the M4 is looking a bit bloated now vs the M3

Soldato
I was reminicising of when I had a blast in my boss's E46 CSL yesterday. It was subtle, and clearly a technological step change.

This is just following the Mercedes strategy of loud gaudy appearance. Not a man.

Caporegime
I was reminicising of when I had a blast in my boss's E46 CSL yesterday. It was subtle, and clearly a technological step change.

This is just following the Mercedes strategy of loud gaudy appearance. Not a man.
Yeah they did a good job on that one!

What do you identify as then:p

OcUK Staff
M4 CSL, discuss...

Not sure about the styling and wow it looks bloated.

Major let down, modern cars are essentially what people used to call yank tanks and this is BMW’s attempt at a lightweight.

It looks not good either probably won’t sound good either, just a massive thumbs down.

Am sure they will all sell and be fetching overs though.

Soldato
Car weights have been creeping up, since forever.
Yes the M4 CSL is heavy compared to the E49 CSL (~1400kg), but that was heavy compared to the original 1972 CSL (~1200kg's).

It'll probably be amazing to drive and be 4x the value in 15 years.

Caporegime
They managed to get the E46 from 1500 to 1345 i think, impressive reductions and kept the rear seats. But look at a E46 CSL, timeless elegance is part of the appeal. As another turbo M car and prob no the last I don't know where this will sit in a few years, but it's a £130k car.

Soldato
Yes the M4 CSL is heavy compared to the E49 CSL (~1400kg), but that was heavy compared to the original 1972 CSL (~1200kg's).

It'll probably be amazing to drive and be 4x the value in 15 years.
Yeah but that's all it is - people will buy them and store them as collectibles. Especially at £130k!.

I don't think that was really the case with the OG CSL... I mean even now if you want a moderately used one, they aren't bonkers money.

Man of Honour

They have, but the E46 M3 CSL was all about removal of weight - to the point that you could option it without even a radio and it had various things from the standard car removed.

By contrast, I note that the highlights from the CSL press pack include such things as:

Among its functions are the navigation system BMW Maps, the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, smartphone integration, telephony with wireless charging and a Wi-Fi interface.

The LED rear lights of the new BMW M4 CSL are equipped as standard with technology making its debut in a series-produced car. Their glass covers have intricate light threads woven into them which are illuminated using laser technology, bringing a vibrant structure to the surface of the lights. This creates a highly distinctive light signature that is recognisable from a long distance during the hours of darkness.

This sounds like the sort of thing I like in a car and generally what I like in a car tends to be basically the complete opposite of what people who want a 'Sport Lightweight' car want in a car. So, I think what nicely demonstrates what it is that people don't like about this new car is the fact I'd happily drive this car whereas the M3 CSL has never interested me :D

Soldato
They have, but the E46 M3 CSL was all about removal of weight - to the point that you could option it without even a radio and it had various things from the standard car removed.

By contrast, I note that the highlights from the CSL press pack include such things as:

Among its functions are the navigation system BMW Maps, the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, smartphone integration, telephony with wireless charging and a Wi-Fi interface.
This sounds like the sort of thing I like in a car and generally what I like in a car tends to be basically the complete opposite of what people who want a 'Sport Lightweight' car want in a car. So, I think what nicely demonstrates what it is that people don't like about this new car is the fact I'd happily drive this car whereas the M3 CSL has never interested me :D
Also in the BMW press release they said this CSL was more road focussed than track, hence the road bias spec.

The wireless charging is an option, along with all the other personal/driving assistant stuff and the rest of what you posted is software, which I don't think adds to the weight :p
They also said they have removed the dual zone climate kit and returned it to single zone, and those lights save weight over the previous ones.

Soldato
Yeah but that's all it is - people will buy them and store them as collectibles. Especially at £130k!.

I don't think that was really the case with the OG CSL... I mean even now if you want a moderately used one, they aren't bonkers money.
Back in the 70's the car market was a lot different - if you had the money for a special car you could order one.
Now you need to be related to the CEO, be a 50% shareholder, have 15 year buying history of a fleet of other cars from the brand, to even get a sniff at any BMW or Porsche limited special. So the people that do get them probably aren't daily driving them.

OcUK Staff

Maybe you have not looked recently at CSL prices, I think high milers are now 80k, average milers over 100k and low mile examples closing towards 150k.

Soldato
Maybe you have not looked recently at CSL prices, I think high milers are now 80k, average milers over 100k and low mile examples closing towards 150k.
You're right :cry:

I think my bosses has about 50k miles on it which puts it at £86k. Damn.

Top Bottom