BT gfast PPPOE settings for pfsense

Soldato
The BT Business Smart Hub 2 might be an option if you're wanting something that can be set into a bridge mode but also does G.fast. I'm not sure it's widely known that it's a G.fast modem so they're cheap on eBay

Soldato
The BT Business Smart Hub 2 might be an option if you're wanting something that can be set into a bridge mode but also does G.fast. I'm not sure it's widely known that it's a G.fast modem so they're cheap on eBay

That's an option - but read good things about this Zyxel unit. - I'll attempt to unlock it this evening, otherwise I'll have to see if it's returnable

Soldato
@bulldog147 On your router; what's the URL for the remote management page? I've attempted some guesses but nothing is working - probably blocked

EDIT - don't worry, I'll return it - doesn't look possible

Last edited:
Associate
The router arrived today - it's doesn't seem very user friendly so far. There is no option to switch modes - modem/bridge etc, and can't establish a connection yet

EDIT: Just checked the firmware and notice it's not exact. I wonder if this was an ISP supplied router which is slightly locked down? There's no branding on it or on the software.

It shows V5.17(ABMT.6)b5_D0_20211206. The latest firmware is 5.17(ABMT.6)C0 release 24/12/21. I'll attempt an update and see what happens

EDIT2: No option found to change firmware. Found hardcoded user details for KCOMengineering. Turns out this is an ISP supplied router with different firmware. I've found a guide to update it, but it appears SSH has been disabled.
Did you look at the Network setting - broadband screen and create a new connection and set it as bridge mode?

Soldato
So yesterday I picked up a BT smart hub 2 - same as the consumer hub, but with bridge mode. Connected it up this morning, as soon as it's in bridge mode, all line stats disappear! :(

This has been hard work! Hopefully it's just on a outdated firmware. I'll give it the weekend and see if it updates itself - I can't find an option to force it.

Soldato
Tried all sorts - it just refused to connect. The line stats were showing my line speed but nothing authenticated.
It's happen to me once, There is settings there.

Go to URL link: http://192.168.1.1/ and sign in with login, once logged in. On home page, click the top right corner, click network setting, click broadband, under highlighted broadband section page you should see modify at the far right end and click it. Make sure you put username and password login details from BT on it, VLAN set to 101, Encapsulation set to PPPoE and 802.1p should set to 2. Click apply. Go to Advanced page make sure G.fast is ticked on. Apply it. You should get connected to internet now from BT network.

Soldato
I tried all sorts of settings. The VDSL page was displaying line stats so that side of things was working, but I think the locked firmware is stopping any authentication with other ISPs.

Soldato
Have you try flash latest firmware and then do full hard resetted at the back with pin hole. If the router are locked to isp please ask the reseller who their isp with before give the router to you. I'm very sorry to hear all the issues with this router.

Soldato
Have you try flash latest firmware and then do full hard resetted at the back with pin hole. If the router are locked to isp please ask the reseller who their isp with before give the router to you. I'm very sorry to hear all the issues with this router.

The firmware update section is missing from the router. I found a guide to do it over SSH, but SSH has been disabled and the management page to toggle the setting has also been removed.
I found an old post on the Zyxel forum where a used had asked for the instructions to unlock it, the official response was they couldn't and it was down to the supplying ISP.
I've started the return process on eBay, but the seller is now ignoring my messages.

Soldato
Fingers crossed. I don't expect the seller knew it was locked down, there was no branding on the router and model numbers are the same. Looks like I need to wait for eBay to step in.

On another note, the BT business smart hub 2 didn't update it's firmware last night, and speed tests are down to 140.

Soldato
Another 1.5hrs with tech support and they're now telling me I can only use the supplied hub, and after market modems/hubs won't work - including the business hub.

I've told them they've miss sold this contract (saying I can use my own equipment) but they want nearly £350 in fees for 3 weeks of headache! Back on hold again!

Soldato
If the sync speed down to 140Meg and still below BTW handback estimated say 185.4 - u have every rights to leave contract without have to pay anything! If BT don't agree then you better off raised complaint to ombudsman but surely BT can downgraded you back on FTTC if your G.fast still fall below threshold handback.

Soldato
I suspect the issue is that with BT’s equipment the speed is over the guaranteed minimum but with third party equipment it isn’t.

BT are allowing their customer to use their own equipment but obviously they don’t know what equipment is actually in use so they cannot guarantee anything.

Sadly the OP is a bit stuffed.

One thing I would point out is that these technologies don‘t seem to like chopping and changing equipment so just letting it settle down and not messing with it for a bit might yield improvements over time.

My own experience with G.fast was it was significantly better than FTTC, well worth the small premium over FTTC and while 140-180Mbps isn’t 220Mbps it’s still pretty fast and I‘d rather have 140Mbps than 70Mbps.

Soldato
I think FTTC 80/20 are reasonable fine for two person in the household. I don't have G.fast anymore. Because G.fast are slightly expensive than FTTC. Try to save money due to high living cost.