Can you control a electric heater over lan ?

Soldato
If its a manual heater you can use a smart plug (they usually do 2KW IIRC). You can get fully WiFi enabled ones.

Soldato
Easy. Just get a really dumb electric heater, and add a smart plug.

I did the same with my an electric oil filled radiator and a Kasa H100 in my son's attic room until I had a chance to get a proper radiator piped up there.

Soldato
I remeber this episode on either Monk or Chicago fire where someone managed to do this and set the heater to set clothes on fire right next to the electric fire. The murderer still got caught despite being hundreds of miles away at the time.

Dont do it OP.

Associate
I remeber this episode on either Monk or Chicago fire where someone managed to do this and set the heater to set clothes on fire right next to the electric fire. The murderer still got caught despite being hundreds of miles away at the time.

Dont do it OP.

It must have been Chicago Fire as I remember that on an episode and we don't watch Monk.

Maybe the new Saw films will start using modern smart plug tech. :D

Associate
Yes, I use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitoring-Temperature-Humidity-Compatible-Control/dp/B07TT92V6X/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3MBLNNIG5AMMM&keywords=sonoff+th&qid=1653047815&sprefix=sonoff+th,aps,139&sr=8-4
I can set a minimum temp and a maximum temp and it turns the heater on and off whenever I want. I can also override it and switch it on from a web browser.
Cool but my Mum has gone anti wifi believing it's bad for her. So is there a powerline lan type of solution ?

Soldato
Cool but my Mum has gone anti wifi believing it's bad for her. So is there a powerline lan type of solution ?

Does your mum use:

A radio and/or a TV?
A mobile phone?
A sat-nav?
A wi-fi router
Bluetooth headphones?

These produce radio waves, so she better destroy all of these and burn down the local 5G mast while she's at it /conspiracy theories.

Print out this thread and show the replies to her :)

Soldato
If you set up a high consumption device such as a heater with an automated on/off switch, you'll need to run it through a relay. This is an actual real life hazard, not a fantasy one.

Soldato
If you set up a high consumption device such as a heater with an automated on/off switch, you'll need to run it through a relay. This is an actual real life hazard, not a fantasy one.
What hazard are you thinking of? A relay is just a switch so I'm struggling to think how it'll prevent any form of hazard, but as with most hazards, they aren't a hazard unless you know about them!

Soldato
What hazard are you thinking of? A relay is just a switch so I'm struggling to think how it'll prevent any form of hazard, but as with most hazards, they aren't a hazard unless you know about them!
A lot of these smart plugs are made of chinesium and despite stating high load, probably can't do high sustained load for a long while. A relay is a switch specifically made for high current applications.

I mean literally one of the caveats on the TP Link smart plug is:
Notes:

1. Damage to the plug and surrounding area may be caused by connected devices with erratic currents—even if power ratings are below the plug's max load.

Top Bottom