Coaxial modem or modem-router to replace Superhub?

Caporegime
Are there any available? I am fed up with this awful thing. I remember looking before, but I failed to find anything. :(

I also read that even if I did find one, it might not work with my VM internet link?

I have a perfectly good router which has been sitting in its box doing nothing because the SuperHub will not play ball with it in modem-only mode. (the router worked fine when we had a regular modem, and it should be compatible...)

I even requested that the Superhub gets taken away and replaced with a Superhub 2, but Virgin were really awkward about it and insisted that they try and repair the old one first, so a guy came, did nothing, claimed it was fine, and left.

Awesome...

Last edited:
Associate
What is the model number of the one you already have? The only requirement for a router to be used with the SH in modem mode is that it be a cable router and not an ADSL modem/router.

Caporegime
OP
It did work to a certain extent, but the network would be deathly slow and it would keep dropping out completely. It works fine when just using the Hub.

I'm not sure of the exact model. It looks identical to this from the front, but I think it has a USB port on the back...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR941ND

After some googling, it looks like it is the V1 of this router...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1043ND

Which confusingly, looks like the one in the first link, as seen here... http://steventan.org/blog/it/hardware/tp-link-tl_wr1043nd-300mbps-wireless-n-router/

Last edited:
Associate
Whichever of those you have they should work with and be far better than your SH. Sorry for the basic questions but was the SH properly in modem mode? With a network cable from port 4 to the routers wan port? When you say the network was slow was it wired or wireless?

Caporegime
OP
Yes it was in modem mode, and it was slow/unreliable/kept completely dropping out no matter how I was connected. Wired or wirelessly.

Soldato
The main problem people complain about is the wireless. If that's the problem you could leave the SH to do the routing and add the router as an access point.

Soldato
You're right. There are Cable modems, but the ISP needs to make profiles for their use, right now Virgin only has profiles for their own hardware/mac addresses. Unless you know everything there is to know about cable ISP hacking and are willing to break terms & conditions it's pretty impossible.

What's the issues with your Superhub? I know the WiFi on all superhubs (including mine) is garbage.

As bremen suggested, I've got a cheap and cheerful D-Link router to handle long range 2.4 Ghz and I run only 5Ghz mode on the Superhub.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it was in modem mode, and it was slow/unreliable/kept completely dropping out no matter how I was connected. Wired or wirelessly.

Are you connecting to the superhub in modem mode via wireless? As if its in modem mode you should only be able to connect to it via 1 of the lan ports... (ie. connect a router to the lan port).

Caporegime
OP
No, I put the SuperHub in modem-only mode, plugged my TP-Link router into the LAN port, and connected to the TP-Link router wirelessly and/or via Eth. :)

I do have a basic understanding of how home networks work, I just made this thread in the hope that I could replace the weak link. That stupid, useless, cheapo hub. :(

I'll go back to the Virginmedia forums and try and persuade Virgin to give me a Superhub 2 I guess.

If I buy one on eBay (I know the people aren't even meant to be selling them as they belong to Virgin.........) there isn't any reason why it wouldn't work is there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom