• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Console Converts

Soldato
It might belong in the PC games section but that would also be a stretch. You wouldn't go to the console section and ask them if they're switching to PC as you would get reported and your thread locked.

Anyway, if you want to talk about value then PC gaming wins there too with the Steam Deck.
Shh.

Leave the thread to people who are interested in contributing.

Soldato
Got a high end PC, a PS5 and an XBSX and SS. (and Switch).

Some games are designed around the TV/Surround Sound/Cinematic experience and controller, others are designed around PC, keyboard and mouse etc. Throw on Gamepass Ultimate if picked up through the loopholes to get it stupidly cheap; which then gives you library on PC and XB titles to access; and frankly I've had good reasons to play all of my machines; they've all got great experiences, and some games just play dramatically better on one platform or another; either down to performance, interface etc. Not played it yet but Elden Ring is a perfect example, XBOX and PC have really annoying stutter, I understand for whatever reason, the PS5 version is buttery smooth, but having all consoles and a decent PC, means I have the opportunity to not only play any game that appeals to me, but also to play it in whatever way suits it and me best.

Have an OLED set and AVR surround kit which also helps, need to upgrade the AVR in the next couple of years though as the current one doesn't play nice with VRR etc, but want the kit to mature before I drop money. Having a nicer TV set and surround sound kit definately boosts my enjoyment from the consoles; having said that even the Series S with a weaker set in the bedroom is a much nicer experience than the previous gen, the SSD and increased CPU performance just make general usage much nicer.

PS4 was OK, especially with external SSD and upgraded higher speed and capacity internal drive, but XBOX One just drove me mad with how slow and unresponsive it felt, after being a PC+SSD user since mid 2000s. PS5/Xbox Series are just such a step up in many ways from the old gen it's not funny; I'm not surprised there are a lot of converts. The new consoles (even the Series S for ~£220) also give you a lot of internal hardware for the amount you pay, and couple with gamepass for easy access to lots of games for free, again, I can see how a lot of people are picking them up; whether converting or not.

Yes you pay a premium for console games new, but Gamepass Ultimate, second hand hand and watching for sales etc can take a lot of the edge off, and having all the platforms gives me a hell of a lot of options, especially with so many titles either getting decent sales pricing on PCs and console these days (as pricing in the UK is actually quite competitive compared to some countries); and a distinct number of games giving you free upgrades to Series or PS5 titles for free if you have a previous gen copy.

I'd actually argue the best experience; if you can afford it; is having all the platforms, as they all complement each other these days, and bring something different to the table. Not like last gen, where I was so dissapointed in Xbox One, I ended up selling it off as I didn't use it, and felt very little inclination to do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was close to switching to PS5 when everything released, failing to get the first wave of GPU's turned me to the console but even they were out of stock. When I did get a GPU I had no appetite to pick up a console in addition so that one can wait out, might change my mind when the pro versions release but as you put it @Alexrose1uk I was nearly one of them too. A hardcore PC gamer mate made the switch during PS4 lifecycle and has been trying to convice me. I thought he would flit back but he just uses that now so I think its proof that some people will migrate that were once PCMR. Partly because the console has excellent price for hardware and convenience and other part being how expensive PC platform rigs seem to be these days.

Soldato
I thought I had been clear when I wrote "I can't game on controller (issues with one thumb)". I didn't write "I think that a controller might be a problem for me but I've never used one so I really don't have any idea and I'm just guessing wildly with no evidence".

I'm definitely tempted. Consoles are far better value for money for gaming
Maybe I'll go one more round on the dGPU upgrade merry-go-round and then switch to a console. Maybe.

No you didnt make it clear your bit above suggests otherwise there was somewhat a contradiction. The above suggests you can use a controller to some extent if you are considering switching to a console. Why consider switching if you cant use a controller at all ? :)

So what will you use if you switch to a console and cant use a controller ? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Have not turned on my PS5 in months, considering selling it. Pretty much played everything worthwhile early last year. Lots of cons too such as most older games being stuck at 1080/30, old PS1/2/3 games are completely forgotten about and left to rot (while on PC you can play any old game in 4k/60+) and I'm not a fan of using controllers for first person games so it limits the games I play on it, pretty much only third person games. (might as well mention the online fee for the millionth time too)

It was worth the money for the few games I played on it (completely skipped the PS4) but I could never use it as a main gaming system. Steam big picture does me nicely if I want to sit on the couch and play on the big screen with high framerates with a controller that lasts longer than 5 hours :D Have RPCS3 games set up on steam in 4k/60 too.

Man of Honour
I'm not 'converted' in the sense that I still favour PC gaming, but I do think the gap has narrowed a bit, Xbox Series X is really good. I've got a 43" 4k TV coming tomorrow to put in my office, will probably move it up here.

I bought a PS4 years ago and think I've played games on it like once or twice, was mostly used as a media player.

Associate
Have not turned on my PS5 in months, considering selling it. Pretty much played everything worthwhile early last year. Lots of cons too such as most older games being stuck at 1080/30, old PS1/2/3 games are completely forgotten about and left to rot (while on PC you can play any old game in 4k/60+) and I'm not a fan of using controllers for first person games so it limits the games I play on it, pretty much only third person games. (might as well mention the online fee for the millionth time too)

It was worth the money for the few games I played on it (completely skipped the PS4) but I could never use it as a main gaming system. Steam big picture does me nicely if I want to sit on the couch and play on the big screen with high framerates with a controller that lasts longer than 5 hours :D Have RPCS3 games set up on steam in 4k/60 too.
Same situation really. I've always gone with owning a gaming PC and a Playstation just because Sony always had a few must-play exclusives on their consoles but with PS5 I was bored for the longest time. Ended up selling it for what I paid for it. It has been a really stale time in terms of exclusive game releases for PS5 since it launched up until Horizon. Will say I was impressed with the hardware and its value for money though.

Perhaps down the line I will get a slim PS5 but for now i'm gaming on my PC on my LG CX OLED which I bought for the hdmi 2.1 support to support the PS5 hahaha.

Soldato
I was close to switching to PS5 when everything released, failing to get the first wave of GPU's turned me to the console but even they were out of stock. When I did get a GPU I had no appetite to pick up a console in addition so that one can wait out, might change my mind when the pro versions release but as you put it @Alexrose1uk I was nearly one of them too. A hardcore PC gamer mate made the switch during PS4 lifecycle and has been trying to convice me. I thought he would flit back but he just uses that now so I think its proof that some people will migrate that were once PCMR. Partly because the console has excellent price for hardware and convenience and other part being how expensive PC platform rigs seem to be these days.

Same here waiting for the Ps5 pro model now as its too far in now to buy a Ps5 for me and I have a ps4 pro that will go nicely with it and I had a Ps5 at launch but it bricked itself within a week with some issue they had at the start and decided not to get another one till they bring out a Ps5 pro or if they decide not to and bring out a slim version as the Ps5 to me is huge and ugly sadly and just want something to fit under the TV like the ps4 pro.

Soldato
I mean add any of the OLED tellies in your household, get a PS5/pro and your gaming experience will be pretty amazing for less than a mid range GPU. OK the telly is expensive enough but you can use that to watch regular content too and people seem to not give a hoot about cost of things like tv's, seems most folk have home cinema setups these days.

Soldato
I did convert to Series X but since went back to PC. The features on a PC is just better and the extra performance, obviously higher price.

But it's like I've got a PC on every display with my laptop now, I've got my PC set up with a 165Hz Dell gaming monitor, then my laptop I have Moonlight installed, I connect that to my TV downstairs or run laptop standalone and I'm running the laptop silent with the power of a 3080ti, I can couch game, sit at the desk, play in the garden all with 1 desktop, it's just so much better. Then all the mods and extra things you can do with a PC.

I do wish a PC would have a kind of console dashboard for controllers to make it even more user friendly but with Controller Companion you can navigate windows fully with just Xbox controller.

Soldato
How effective is Moonlight for streaming? Do you get issues when trying to run demanding games at high res/refresh rates?

I've found it works very well when connected via LAN cable, got a gigabit lan cable going from my virgin router up to a BT router upstairs that then connects to the PC.

When sat at the couch it looks native to me, and there is very minimal latency, seems really smooth to me, running 4k HDR at 60Hz (Can't get 120Hz as my EDID emulator dummy plug only supports 4k 60 hdr) with a Lindy 32115 EDID Emulator.

Seems to work so well to the point I can't justify using my laptop's own resources for games considering the 2070 max Q and the noise that's generated, might as well run it silent utilising the 3080Ti in the desktop.

It's took me some time to get working correct, Windows 10 is very temperamental so I've dual botted with Windows 11 which works much better.

Associate
I'll have to have a look at that, my PC is currently hardwired with a long HDMI cable to my TV so that works fine, but if I'm wanting to play something more demanding on the laptop, streaming could be a very good solution if it avoids the noise and heat (especially heat!) that accompanies it.

Soldato
Cannot for the life of me get used to the controller else would convert to a console.

Have for so used to Keyboard and Mouse and just can't seem to get the muscle memory for a controller at all.

Such a shame as it's a great console.

Stick at it I'd say its just as you say muscle memory it feels ridiculously unwieldy and untuitive at first then one day it'll just click and it'll feel like the most natural thing in the world. I started on consoles so I still use them though I only own a PC at present lol. It really is all about what you're used to.

Associate
Stick at it I'd say its just as you say muscle memory it feels ridiculously unwieldy and untuitive at first then one day it'll just click and it'll feel like the most natural thing in the world. I started on consoles so I still use them though I only own a PC at present lol. It really is all about what you're used to.

Yep, I alternate all the time with controller and M/KB, for a time when BF3 was much better on PC compared to PS3/Xbox I had a PC in the living room and played exclusively on controller and used to hold my own very well (without aim assist). These days with aim assist its much better. So living room on PS5/SeriesX COD/BF2042 I have similar stats to PC on M/KB , this is with cross play always enabled.
Really love all the current tech. and looking forward to the inevitable Pro versions of these consoles and upgrading my RX6800 to RDNA 3 some point next year.

Maybe its an age thing (45) but I have lost all my bias and consume as much tech as I can, life is too short.

Last edited:
Reactions: VB6
Soldato
I mean add any of the OLED tellies in your household, get a PS5/pro and your gaming experience will be pretty amazing for less than a mid range GPU. OK the telly is expensive enough but you can use that to watch regular content too and people seem to not give a hoot about cost of things like tv's, seems most folk have home cinema setups these days.
It definately helps that, especially during the worst of the hardware shortage; for the price of a decent PC, you could get a Series X or PS5 + 55" (or even 65") 4K120 OLED (or LCD, your preference...) AND an AVR setup, for roughly the same price as just a decent tower unit, without the screen etc.

Once you consider things like cheap PS4/XBOX games with upgrades, and gamepass, it does become a compelling argument.

Being a PCMR member, ESPECIALLY the last few years, has not been cheap...

Soldato
It definately helps that, especially during the worst of the hardware shortage; for the price of a decent PC, you could get a Series X or PS5 + 55" (or even 65") 4K120 OLED (or LCD, your preference...) AND an AVR setup, for roughly the same price as just a decent tower unit, without the screen etc.

Once you consider things like cheap PS4/XBOX games with upgrades, and gamepass, it does become a compelling argument.

Being a PCMR member, ESPECIALLY the last few years, has not been cheap...
Or there is the other side of the story which is what most people did. Sold their old outdated graphics card for profit, got a new FE with that money and made enough money from mining to get an OLED TV, an AVR setup and a Steam deck for free.

Soldato
Or there is the other side of the story which is what most people did. Sold their old outdated graphics card for profit, got a new FE with that money and made enough money from mining to get an OLED TV, an AVR setup and a Steam deck for free.

You didnt have to mine either when a 3080FE could net you £1000-£1200 in return in profit just by selling it.

Soldato
Easy to say that but those FE were like gold dust. I know multiple people who tried to get them for MONTHS and then gave up. Unless you were able to hover at Telegram, or be in the right place at the right time, until recently they sold out in seconds due to bots etc, and they were out of reach for most.

I would argue most, as you put it, would be not that many at all in the scheme of things - the vast majority likely kept what they had for fear of not being able to replace, and just hoping they got lucky, and selling if they did, or if they were determined to get a new machine, buying a prebuild, as it was the only semi-sane way to get something like a 3080.

Look at the pre-order queues, people were sitting in those for 6-12months and more...

Compared to the actual market; the number of people who get thier hands on FE cards was definately a minority compared to the numbers of people who actually wanted them. You have to remember enthusiast forums like these can give a false impressions that everyone got one, but you have to remember many enthusiasts will go out of thier way to do considerably more to get one than the average gamer, and there are plenty of people here who didn't get one either; despite wanting them.

In fact, the RRP and these FE cards being at RRP were almost a bit of a meme for a while, given how gold dust they were.

Last edited:
Soldato
Easy to say that but those FE were like gold dust. I know multiple people who tried to get them for months and then gave up.

Unless you were able to hover at Telegram, they were out of reach for most.

I would argue most as you put it, would be, not that many at all - the vast majority likely kept what they had for fear of not being able to replace, and just hoping they got lucky.
According to a recent OCUK poll most people own FE cards so way more people got them than you think. It just total demand was crazy.

Top Bottom