• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU upgrade for Gaming

Caporegime
Pawnbroker's like CEX take advantage of people, they sell for near Brand New Retail, so a GPU that's brand new £450 OCUK they will sell used for £420 having only paid £200 for it, i also would trust their testing, i doubt many people working there have any idea how to test hardware properly.

Just don't buy computer hardware from Pawnbroker's, if i'm buying used computer stuff for more that a few pounds the only place i would go, and have done in the past is OCUK Members Market.

Associate
Even B-Grade, depending on what I’m looking for, I won’t risk. Things like GPU, CPU, Monitor, Motherboard and Speakers. A no-no from me.
Watercooling and cases are fine. Most issues can be easily identified. But any more complex hardware, you may don’t have the luck to reproduce some potential issue a previous buyer did and when you do, you can’t do nothing about.

Soldato
CEX should be a quick and relatively simple way to upgrade from a Zen 2 CPU to Zen 3.

You said you were considering the 5700X. This is hard to recommend at current prices given that the performance is generally lower than Alder Lake CPUs with 6 or more cores, and it's more expensive than CPUs like the 12600 or 12600F.

I think it would be a better buy at £150-£200.

Last edited:
Associate
If you live near a CEX that gets good stock of computer parts that you can physically inspect I feel more comfortable in buying from them. I got my 4 sticks of corsair vengeance RGB ddr4 from them at a good price and it works without problem so far, last 2 sticks cost £46, but as I had a voucher from trading in stuff I didn't have to actually part with any cash. You can also see whether the GPu they have in stock is a good model or not. Although since the Nividia 3000 series and AMD 6000 they have a separately listing for each model so its not the gamble it was. I am weary of buying AMD cpus from them though in case they have been overclocked as I have seen AMD cpus that look like they have been damaged from overclocking, https://youtu.be/WrnzgiUUvZw

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5600 will be a nice cost effective upgrade over a 2600. Sure the X3D will offer a bit more buts it's also over double the price while not offering anywhere near double the performance.

For reference I went from a ryzen 5 3600 > 5800X @1440p with a 3080 and the typical gains were 0-15% depending on the title with older games that already ran over 144fps seeing the largest gains while newer games that run under 100fps rarely saw much improvement, that said going from an older 2600 to 5600 should see around a 30% gain on average.

Soldato
The difference is about 16-17% in the average framerate at 1080p, from a 2600X to a 5600X. Based on Techpowerup's review:

EDIT - Techspot got wildly different results in the games they tested, at 1080p:

Approx. a 48% increase in minimum framerate, from the 2600 to the 5600X.

It looks like upgrading to a 5700X would push this increase to over 50%. 8 cores is the sweetspot for minimum framerate tbh.

Watchdogs: Legion is a good example of a game where the CPU really counts in terms if framerate:

Another benefit to 8 or more cores would be faster turn loading times in game series like Civ or Total War.

Last edited:
Soldato
TLDR

Zen 3 upgrade would get you upto 50% improvement in minimum framerate.

Zen 4 upgrade in 5-6 months time should be around a 70% performance improvement for an 8 core CPU, taking into account improvements to clock rate and IPC.

Caporegime
The difference is about 16-17% in the average framerate at 1080p, from a 2600X to a 5600X. Based on Techpowerup's review:

EDIT - Techspot got wildly different results in the games they tested, at 1080p:

Approx. a 48% increase in minimum framerate, from the 2600 to the 5600X.

It looks like upgrading to a 5700X would push this increase to over 50%. 8 cores is the sweetspot for minimum framerate tbh.

Watchdogs: Legion is a good example of a game where the CPU really counts in terms if framerate:

Another benefit to 8 or more cores would be faster turn loading times in game series like Civ or Total War.

Techpowerup are not the right place to go if what you're looking for is a difference in CPU performance, that's not what they do, they used a 2080TI FFS....

Soldato
I don't think it's that unreasonable actually. There's only about 8 graphics cards that perform better than the RTX 2080 TI, with the RTX 3070 offering about the same performance.

Looking at Steam's hardware survey (April), the RTX 3080 and RTX 3080 TI account for less than 2% of graphics cards installed. Not much data for AMD graphics cards but the RX 6900 XT is currently around 0.15%.

I take your point though, probably would've been better to use an RTX 3080, but they'd only been out a couple of months when the review was done.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think it's that unreasonable actually. There's only about 8 graphics cards that perform better than the RTX 2080 TI, with the RTX 3070 offering about the same performance.

Looking at Steam's hardware survey (April), the RTX 3080 and RTX 3080 TI account for less than 2% of graphics cards installed. Not much data for AMD graphics cards but the RX 6900 XT is currently around 0.15%.

I take your point though, probably would've been better to use an RTX 3080, but they'd only been out a couple of months when the review was done.

When what you're reporting to be doing is testing the CPU performance hierarchy its completely unreasonable to use a GPU that bottlenecks them from the lower mid range up. Its contrived.

Associate
I'd go for an 8 core right now, six cores are fine for most things at the moment but with consoles using 8 cores most new games will prefer them going forward. A 5600X would be a good compromise if you can't stretch to a 8 cores.

Associate
I'd go for an 8 core right now, six cores are fine for most things at the moment but with consoles using 8 cores most new games will prefer them going forward. A 5600X would be a good compromise if you can't stretch to a 8 cores.
8 cores 16 threads is the future.

I'd personally suggest that 99% of the time, the 5700X is a better choice over the 5800X but it really doesn't matter which.

Most users would also be fine with a 5600X, I just agree that more games will start using more than 6 cores 12 threads and the price difference between the 5600X and 5700X isn't massive.

Permabanned
Forums used to be useful for upgrade questions didn't they, but these days with each skew having different core counts and included memory specs etc that's all been done away with.
They only question left is how much are you willing to spend?

Top Bottom