Exploding PSU Warning: Corsair Lab Fun

Man of Honour
Stop me if you have heard this one before. A couple of our guys were doing some load testing one day on some PSUs and had some fun with some "inexpensive" low end units.

The unit was rated at [email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

We tested it with the 12V at 18A, the 3.3V at 20A, and the 5V at 10A on our load testers.

Check out the video clip, Why a high-quality PSU is an essential purchase.

Video Link: http://corsair.com/cinema/default.aspx

Soldato
Lol. But you never showed a Corsair unit at the same load. . . .

And I had a Corsair that did dramatically explode . . . .

It went BANG, big flash, acrid smell. RMA'd (£35 sodding quid to go to the states!).

Soldato

It went BANG, big flash, acrid smell. RMA'd (£35 sodding quid to go to the states!).

Agreed, not much use without a fair comparison.

Soldato
Well I never really ran any very demanding components in my machine and my cheapo PSU that came with the case lasted for around 3 years without an incident so go figure (didn't explode either). Incidently out the 2 Enermax PSUs I had, one didn't work out the box (although was bought from this forum as RMA replacement) and second one didn't last 3 weeks (Infiniti series too) although RMA service with that one was excellent. Had sumvision run as backup in this machine for around 6 months now and couple of days ago got myself a good deal on OCZ one.

Man of Honour
a chepo psu is still going strong in my dads computer from ohh must be 1998-9ish..
Yet my hyper died in about 14months.

Soldato
Indeed, my Corsair blew only last week.

I get the point that cheap PSU's can lead to horrific consequences, but it's also the same with high quality PSU's, it's just less often. Look at the Hiper 580's for example, had a post like every other day a while back with another one that exploded.

Plus, and to be honest and without sounding like a tool, I'd only really consider comparative tests from a neutral source. It's like getting Nvidia to test ATI cards and expecting a non-biased result.

ps. I have a Q-Tech 500w that has been going, and still is going, from about 5 years ago yet my Corsair didn't last 11 months.

Soldato
Heh true the video was well made and the music was interesting.

Although I did laugh somewhat when it said "So what does budget really mean?" and the next thing on the screen is "CORSAIR POWER SUPPLIES" :p

Man of Honour
OP
I get the point that cheap PSU's can lead to horrific consequences, but it's also the same with high quality PSU's, it's just less often.

Plus, and to be honest and without sounding like a tool, I'd only really consider comparative tests from a neutral source. It's like getting Nvidia to test ATI cards and expecting a non-biased result.
Both very valid points IMO. Electronics fail, it's as simple as that. As far as a comparative test, this is obviously not a truly scientific test or comparison. It's mainly for entertainment value. Hope you guys enjoy the music too.

Soldato
Stop me if you have heard this one before. A couple of our guys were doing some load testing one day on some PSUs and had some fun with some "inexpensive" low end units.

The unit was rated at [email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

We tested it with the 12V at 18A, the 3.3V at 20A, and the 5V at 10A on our load testers.

Check out the video clip, Why a high-quality PSU is an essential purchase.

Video Link: http://corsair.com/cinema/default.aspx

Nice advert.

Soldato
some cheaper psu's are fine. theres always risks with any psu's £30 psu's or £150+ psu's

if you buy a cheaper psu just make sure it as safety protections. in that video did they use a psu that isn't got safety protections? (i haven't watched it yet)

edited: Corsair made this video so maybe they making it look so bad so people will buy they psu.

Last edited:
Soldato
a chepo psu is still going strong in my dads computer from ohh must be 1998-9ish..
Yet my hyper died in about 14months.

Got one of these as well, but don't think you can beat it because mine is a total "no name" chinese standard 230v from 1997... Still works fine, been working with at least 5diff systems and is still up ;-).

Soldato
Supply Test #3 the green box on the floor that gets a sly show, woudnt happen to be the box for a coolermaster PSU?? ;)

C64

C64

Soldato
Exploding bank account when I needed to rma my exploding corsair power supply.:D
Corsair should get a small uk depot to deal with rma's if they did that then the sales would sky rocket.

Soldato

They now do a EU one (returns centre), not sure where but it started last month iirc

Associate
Well it's factually untrue as people here HAVE had Corsair's go POP.

Still entertaining though.

The PSU in my GF's machine is a megacheapo running at about half it's rating under full machine use, and while it's power is still of high quality....it breathes mighty hot!

However, a little factoid.......
I've never had an "asdaprice" PSU arrive dead, but I've had two big brandname DOA's.

Soldato
The original Seasonic made Corsair PSUs were very good indeed, I've not tried one of the newer ones. The problem with videos like that is that they do tend to come back and bite the makers...

Top Bottom