Finally got a new GPU - being held back by the rest. Advice please.

Associate
As per the title. My trusty 8 year old GTX760 died before crimbo, didn't want to pay loads for a new GPU, so waited and finally got a decent deal on a RTX2060. Appreciate nowhere near the top of the line, but fine for what I need.

However now in certain games (which I appreciate are more CPU heavy, such as No Man's Sky etc) the CPU is topping out whilst GPU is at 60%. And so the never ending cycle of upgrading continues :D

Rest of my components;

i5 4440 @3.10
ASUS H81M-k
16GB of something @ 800
EVGA 500w
A couple of decent SSDs

(yes, old :eek:).

Requirements for me are; My monitor is 1080 and I don't intend (nor am really worried) about going higher. So I'd like to play the majority of newer games @1080 with half-decent settings, but I'm realistic and know I'd need to dial back a tad. I'd like it quiet, and where possible lower end on the power consumption.

I'm also after bargain basement. So looking @ the MM; although I've been out of the "game" for a while, I'm perfectly confident with pulling apart and putting back together what's needed. So biggest bang for buck on the lower end of cost.

I'm assuming a complete overhaul of MB / CPU / RAM is the way. Anything in that area that fits the bill that will readily be available second hand? I'm totally out of touch with AMD / Intel etc, and have no preference. Not overly fussed by W11 right now either.

Appreciate thoughts folks :)

Associate
As per the title. My trusty 8 year old GTX760 died before crimbo, didn't want to pay loads for a new GPU, so waited and finally got a decent deal on a RTX2060. Appreciate nowhere near the top of the line, but fine for what I need.

However now in certain games (which I appreciate are more CPU heavy, such as No Man's Sky etc) the CPU is topping out whilst GPU is at 60%. And so the never ending cycle of upgrading continues :D

Rest of my components;

i5 4440 @3.10
ASUS H81M-k
16GB of something @ 800
EVGA 500w
A couple of decent SSDs

Requirements for me are; My monitor is 1080 and I don't intend (nor am really worried) about going higher. So I'd like to play the majority of newer games @1080 with half-decent settings, but I'm realistic and know I'd need to dial back a tad. I'd like it quiet, and where possible lower end on the power consumption.

I'm also after bargain basement. So looking @ the MM; although I've been out of the "game" for a while, I'm perfectly confident with pulling apart and putting back together what's needed. So biggest bang for buck on the lower end of cost.

I'm assuming a complete overhaul of MB / CPU / RAM is the way. Anything in that area that fits the bill that will readily be available second hand? I'm totally out of touch with AMD / Intel etc, and have no preference. Not overly fussed by W11 right now either.

We're on the cusp of new CPUs from AMD and Intel this year, however the current crop are also pretty great and reasonably priced. AMD 7000 series is rumoured September, Intel around the same time but could be later towards Christmas. If recent trends continue it may be only the very expensive top end stuff at the start, followed in 6/12/18 months by more budget-friendly parts.

I would upgrade now (as you'll immediately feel benefit) and go AM4 platform and look at a 3000 series CPU as bang for buck. I'd target a x370, b450 or x470 board at around £40 - aim for one with well reviewed VRMs (MSI Tomahawk was fairly good if I remember correctly). For the CPU a 3600 or 3600x around £110. For Memory I'd look at 16gb 3200Mhz+ DDR4 for ~£50 (although memory has been selling for a bit more recently).

If you were to wait about 9 months you might find that a 5000 series CPU could be found at a good price as it will no longer be current tech. You may at that time decide to upgrade from your 3600 to a 5600 for a ~20% boost to performance whilst retaining the other components.

An option that means you don't have to spend time in the Members Marketplace whilst being priced very close to 2nd hand stuff (if not better):

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £309.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

MM Thread for a 3600 that you could swoop in on at a good price (ask if cooler is included) - this would be instead of the 5600 above: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...orsair-vengeance-lpx-2x8gb-ddr4-ram.18952032/

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're looking on the MM I'd fire on over like Chris suggested, a 3600 or a 3700X, possibly with a new B450 Tomahawk or Mortar for around £60 (they were that price for ages, but stock seems a bit thin right now).

Alternatively, there are some good deals popping up on 10th and 11th gen CPUs and the motherboards are more reasonably priced, but don't pay a lot for anything (whether it be used or brand new), reason being that the i3-12100F beats most older four and six cores in games and costs just under £100, which would land you on a newer platform with more upgrades available.

Another option would be a 4770K, I've seen them go for £50-£60 and I'm inclined to say it is worth the upgrade at that price and might keep you going until AM5 it out and DDR5 drops in price.

Associate

Rest of my components;

i5 4440 @3.10
ASUS H81M-k
16GB of something @ 800
EVGA 500w
A couple of decent SSDs

For No Man's Sky is it using all the cores of your CPU or just one core?

Maybe this is relevant?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT9t2EfuN7U

Don
Another option would be a 4770K, I've seen them go for £50-£60 and I'm inclined to say it is worth the upgrade at that price and might keep you going until AM5 it out and DDR5 drops in price.

Xeon E3's are another option - you can grab a E3-1240v3 for £32 on ebay (maybe less if you make an offer), which is basically a 4770 (non-K) 3.4Ghz (3.9Ghz boost) chip with Hyperthreading.

(And the Asus H81M-k does officially support them: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Business/H81MK/HelpDesk_CPU/)

Associate
12th gen intel i3 i3-12100F or i5 12400F for new and AMD 3600/5600 for second hand choice would get my vote

Top Bottom