Help stop my 12900k boiling itself

Soldato
I’m setting up my workstation at the moment. Specs are as follows -
MSI Z690 Pro
64Gb Vengeance 5200 (2x 32gb)
2070Super
RX850w
Arctic LFii420mm

No matter what I set the damned thing to it thermal throttles in Cinebench. I don’t want to start loading too much other software on until I’ve got it working properly hence just using the cpu standard benchmark.

I can lower the power limit, but then it hits power throttling and I lose a good chunk of performance.

It doesn’t seem to matter what I set the core voltage or LLC to, it just ignores it and chucks whatever power at it that it fancies to hit the clocks. Oddly enough although XTU says it’s throttling it doesn’t drop the clocks at all.

The cooler is mounted with the Arctic 1700 mounting kit. It’s definitely making good contact and I’m using Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut.

I know these things run hot, but surely it shouldn’t be hitting 100c within 2-3 seconds of a cinebench run? Especially on a 429mm AIO!

Is there some secret sauce setting that I’m missing in the bios (or xtu) that’ll help?

Associate
That doesn't sound great. My 5800X, a toasty chip in its own right, only gets to 75C stock, and ~80C when OC'd using that cooler, and MX-4 thermal paste.

Is the AIO running at a decent lick, pump/fans? Maybe give Fan Control a go to check.

zia

zia

Associate
At 5.3 mine can hit 99*c in cinebench.
Is it overclocked?
In stock format should not thermal throttle.
Adl have inbuilt voltage curve so it will use predefind voltage at certain cpu speed.you tweak this using vf points

Zia

Soldato
The cooler is mounted with the Arctic 1700 mounting kit. It’s definitely making good contact and I’m using Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut.

Have you checked for bend/flex in your board/socket and the CPU itself. Its quite a common issue with LGA1700 sadly, so it may look like you have good contact but you don't. I assume you've refitted the block/pump more than once?

Soldato
That doesn't sound great. My 5800X, a toasty chip in its own right, only gets to 75C stock, and ~80C when OC'd using that cooler, and MX-4 thermal paste.

Is the AIO running at a decent lick, pump/fans? Maybe give Fan Control a go to check.

I had a 5950x in it before and that only hit 75c under full load.

Fans are ramping up to full when the load hits and the pump is set to 100% the whole time (though I can’t actually check it because the LFii doesn’t report pump speed). I don’t think it’s the cooling setup, it just looks like the chips sucking in too much voltage

Soldato
Have you checked for bend/flex in your board/socket and the CPU itself. Its quite a common issue with LGA1700 sadly, so it may look like you have good contact but you don't. I assume you've refitted the block/pump more than once?

Yep, refitted a couple of times. Even tried the washer mod on the retaining bracket!

Soldato
At 5.3 mine can hit 99*c in cinebench.
Is it overclocked?
In stock format should not thermal throttle.
Adl have inbuilt voltage curve so it will use predefind voltage at certain cpu speed.you tweak this using vf points

Zia

I can back it down a bit to around 95ish with some overclocking and undervolting, but at stock it hits 100c and reports throttling almost instantly… it just doesn’t drop the clocks!

Soldato
I can back it down a bit to around 95ish with some overclocking and undervolting, but at stock it hits 100c and reports throttling almost instantly… it just doesn’t drop the clocks!

Does the radiator get hot to the touch ? Sounding like a cooler issue to me what you are seeing or maybe time to update the BIOS on the motherboard to make sure it is not giving it way too many volts. I would start with BIOS update and set to defaults and only xmp enabled for the ram.

Soldato
When I had the MSI 690 Pro, same applies with my gigabyte, and I use std defaults for vcore voltage it would always overvolt the CPU to the point of getting hot, similar to what you describe, that is with my 12700k. I also have a 420mm Arctic Freezer II AIO.
Using an offset voltage for the MSI board, and now for the gigabyte has very much resolved that concern. I mention overvolt as I was able to reduce that by enough to maintain stability but also reduce the instant heat when running the likes of Cinebench.
Remembering that Cinebench rarely equates to typical use, no more than OCCT does.

Soldato
What Vimes asked, does radiator get hot?
How much warmer is hose flowing out of waterblock/pump than in?

Ideally pump should flow coolant fast enough coolant coming out of waterblock is only a few degrees warmer than entering. Lower temp coolant in waterblock allows more heat tranfer / faster heat transfer from CPU to coolant.

Top Bottom