Loft - Fitting brethable sheeting

Associate
Hi all

I am looking at using a breathable sheeting to stop dust from falling from back of roof tiles into loft storage space.

Below is how I intend on fitting the sheeting.

N8exN2Y.jpg

Would there be any issues with this? I also intend on continuing the membrane down to the boards to section off the space under the roof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it breathable both ways? My concern would be that it stops sufficient ventilation and causes condensation.

What did you buy? I'd like similar for my own loft

Associate
This is the stuff I ordered from Screwfix.

Cromar Vent 3 Lightweight Breathable Roofing Membrane Dark Grey 50m x 1m

As it is breathable, im hoping it will be fine in the loft.

Soldato
I'd say your bigger problem is a lack of roof felt between the rafters and the roof tiles.. the breathable membrane is just a bodge for the actual issue.

Soldato
I'd say your bigger problem is a lack of roof felt between the rafters and the roof tiles.. the breathable membrane is just a bodge for the actual issue.

My roof has no roof felt as it was built in the 1930s - do I need a new one?!

Man of Honour
I'd be cautious - my dad did similar in the roof space over their bedroom (separate to the main loft) and it resulted in damp issues and mould. Though I'm not sure what he actually used.

Associate
Apologies, I had started installing the membrane as an example really. I intend on covering all of the internal spaces between the beams.

Soldato
Roofing felt is not actually necessary and as I understand it older properties had none and quite often lasted a long period.

I believe the primary reason they're used these days is to stop rain ingress during installation, despite the fact its a secondary seal for a poor installation.

Top Bottom