(Need advice) Looking to build mid-high end gaming PC

Associate
Hey all I’m looking at building my first mid-high end gaming PC which will be purely used for gaming.

I have a max budget of £2000 this will be for the case and all components.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Associate
Resolution 1440p with the possibility to upgrade to 4k in the future
I'd go rtx 3080 then.. Any style of case you like? White or black? The new series of gpu's will launch soon. Can you wait 3 months or so or is this something you want now?

Associate
I'd go rtx 3080 then.. Any style of case you like? White or black? The new series of gpu's will launch soon. Can you wait 3 months or so or is this something you want now?
I can 100% wait to build it just want to make sure I get it right first time around lol I was looking at the black corsair 5000D airflow case.

Associate
I can 100% wait to build it just want to make sure I get it right first time around lol I was looking at the black corsair 5000D airflow case.
sorry, was out and about. The case is nice, plenty of space inside so plenty of air, can fit a 360mm aio in top also....bit biased, have the 5000X version. One thing I would say is glass has a dark tint, so if you want to see inside, you'll need a fair amount of rgb lighting otherwise it'll be a black box( and that gets expensive quickly..talking from experience here:cry:, but don't regret it). Prices on cases fluctuate a lot. If you have the time, I'd just follow them a bit..got mine for £120, though that was last year...seen it down at £130 in last month or so..opted for that case as liked the glass on all sides, and the sp elite fans are £55 separately(though didn't use in the end)..the 5000d airflow has been down at £90 a couple of months ago too
Other clean look would be the lian li evo case
So , from leaks, nvidia 4000 series gpu are meant to be announced in july. Guessing will be like gold dust to get hold of and no telling what the price will be so still may be cost effective going for a 3000 card. The 3080 is best bang for buck 4k card most reviewers say, so wqill be great at 1440p, and should cover you 4k. Downside is 10gn vram..you can get a 12gb vram version but it's about £200 more expensive which isn't worth it imo
For cpu/mobo currently intel slightly more future proof..current socket 1700 boards will take 13th gen cpu's when intel release them end of this year, and 12th gen outperformed the amd cxhip on reaslease for price/performance, though since amd dropped prices. The Z690 boards have a gen5 gpu slot(can't get gen5 cards yet) and gen have 4 nvme slots for future storage need . B660 boards are gen4 and 2 nvme slots(though are a couple with gen 5 slots) which is more in line with AM4 boards
AMD AM4 boards are X570 and B550...The X570 boards have 2 gen4 nvme slots, B550 boards are newer but 2nd nvme slot gen 3...for gaming a gen 3 drive is more than fast enough so would go B550. AMD just release the 5800X3d cpu which prob best gaming cpu you can buy(def price/performance). end of this year AMD releasing their new platform, AM5 with their new generation of cpu's. The platform will have gen5 gpu slot and gen5 pcie slots for nvme so will be even more future proof(as no gen5 nvme at the mo either)..downside will be ddr5 ram only...(intel you get choice, go for a ddr5 board or ddr4). DDR5 makes little difference atm in gaming, and the ram is more expensive. This will change(actually read some 5200 and 5600 ddr5 ram being release with timings of 28 which will impact gaming and make a difference, however will be expensive)

I can do an intel and a amd build so you get an idea. Others prob do the same as quite fun putting something together. I'll base off the corsair case for you

Associate
sorry, was out and about. The case is nice, plenty of space inside so plenty of air, can fit a 360mm aio in top also....bit biased, have the 5000X version. One thing I would say is glass has a dark tint, so if you want to see inside, you'll need a fair amount of rgb lighting otherwise it'll be a black box( and that gets expensive quickly..talking from experience here:cry:, but don't regret it). Prices on cases fluctuate a lot. If you have the time, I'd just follow them a bit..got mine for £120, though that was last year...seen it down at £130 in last month or so..opted for that case as liked the glass on all sides, and the sp elite fans are £55 separately(though didn't use in the end)..the 5000d airflow has been down at £90 a couple of months ago too
Other clean look would be the lian li evo case
So , from leaks, nvidia 4000 series gpu are meant to be announced in july. Guessing will be like gold dust to get hold of and no telling what the price will be so still may be cost effective going for a 3000 card. The 3080 is best bang for buck 4k card most reviewers say, so wqill be great at 1440p, and should cover you 4k. Downside is 10gn vram..you can get a 12gb vram version but it's about £200 more expensive which isn't worth it imo
For cpu/mobo currently intel slightly more future proof..current socket 1700 boards will take 13th gen cpu's when intel release them end of this year, and 12th gen outperformed the amd cxhip on reaslease for price/performance, though since amd dropped prices. The Z690 boards have a gen5 gpu slot(can't get gen5 cards yet) and gen have 4 nvme slots for future storage need . B660 boards are gen4 and 2 nvme slots(though are a couple with gen 5 slots) which is more in line with AM4 boards
AMD AM4 boards are X570 and B550...The X570 boards have 2 gen4 nvme slots, B550 boards are newer but 2nd nvme slot gen 3...for gaming a gen 3 drive is more than fast enough so would go B550. AMD just release the 5800X3d cpu which prob best gaming cpu you can buy(def price/performance). end of this year AMD releasing their new platform, AM5 with their new generation of cpu's. The platform will have gen5 gpu slot and gen5 pcie slots for nvme so will be even more future proof(as no gen5 nvme at the mo either)..downside will be ddr5 ram only...(intel you get choice, go for a ddr5 board or ddr4). DDR5 makes little difference atm in gaming, and the ram is more expensive. This will change(actually read some 5200 and 5600 ddr5 ram being release with timings of 28 which will impact gaming and make a difference, however will be expensive)

I can do an intel and a amd build so you get an idea. Others prob do the same as quite fun putting something together. I'll base off the corsair case for you
Cheers for all the info I appreciate it. Would you be able to put together an intel build so i can have a look at what you recommend?

Soldato
Cheers mate looks decent…sorry about the boring black build lol
Lol.

Let's run threw my build

Gone with 12700k and z690 msi motherboard which is a decent value motherboards. If your not overclocking the a b660 and 12700 would save you some money.

3080 for 4k gaming, Zotac offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days otherwise 3 years. 1tb M2 sn 850 pcie4 excellent value and performce no brainer at that price.

Arctic 360 aio best value aio but may need a skt 1700 bracket for the motherboard, most coolers dont come with one so it's something to be aware.

1000w psu 10 year warranty is quality .

Associate
Cheers for all the info I appreciate it. Would you be able to put together an intel build so i can have a look at what you recommend?
Micky done a solid build above and done performance over everything else.. Only thing is you might struggle with the clearance of the aio in roof. I've got about 5-7mm(by look, haven't measured) from fan to vrm heatsink and arctic rads are thicker(standard 27mm thick, arctic 38mm thick so need 11mm clearance on top or what I have)...was going to post pic, but link for imgur on forum not working...also build with no rgb will be a black box..ok if that look you're going for but you wont see anything inside really

will do slightly different with lian li evo case and add rgb...this will show how price can escalate quickly..will do black case with some white interior to give black/white contrast, but could use micky build above..plenty of space for arctic aio in that

PSU....added white variant of the same psu micky put in. I have a RM1000X in mine which is excellent but costs more
Mobo..not Z690 but this B660 has a pcie gen5 gpu slot and takes 3 nvme gen4 ssd's, and 4080 sound codec, wifi6...so just about the same as a z690 anyway
Zotac 3080 same, comes 5 yrs warranty, but if you buy the preorder one save £30
Evo case cheaper than the corsair at the mo, hese why I put in...
put standard galahad aio in white with st fans...can be had £119 away at the mo saving £30
put the uni fans in..expensive but daisy chainable..with aio in roof exhasing, add 3 at bottom as intake for chimney effect..you can add another 3 down the side intake also creating positive pressure in case, so air pushes out so not sucking dust in (only by fans through a dust filter), and even replace the 3 on aio...as daisychain, they link together so each chain of 3 fans have 2 wires instead of 6..case takes 10 fans..3 top/3 side/3 bottom, 1 back(though would leave that out)..so 6 wires..with standard you'd be looking at 18 wires with standard fans
With Ram, if buy away you can get for £140, or for £152 you can get 32 gb (2 x 16gb) veangeace RGB RT gunmetal 3600C16 which will be ever so slightly faster

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,142.91 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

one reason why I did white is I saw the 5000X in white for £130....that comes with the 3 sp elite fans, and then just get the 360 corsair h150i for roof..it's more expensive than arctic, but more than capable and will fit case...comes with a commander core, couple with the pwm fan hub and lighting node core in case and all fans are covered. same thing with RAM, can get cheaper or in white if so desired​
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,124.92 (includes delivery: £0.00) so knock £84 off price if shop around so £2,040.53)​

You could also save £100 by going 12600k which outperforms a 5800X cpu in most cases, and only a few % behind a 12700k really in gaming​
With the 5000 series, the white case has clear glass, no tint, so you can if you wish ditch the rgb completely and still actually see inside and see the components​
other option is 4000 series case..not quite so deep so will only take a 240mm/280mm in roof but a lot cheaper...can get x variant for £130, airflow for £89, and can get 280mm 115i elite aio for £106 on offer​
Other saving can get an RM850 for £92.99 which is more than enough for the 3080, though like 1000w as they come with 10yrs warranty so should last a future gpu upgrade​

Associate
Micky done a solid build above and done performance over everything else.. Only thing is you might struggle with the clearance of the aio in roof. I've got about 5-7mm(by look, haven't measured) from fan to vrm heatsink and arctic rads are thicker(standard 27mm thick, arctic 38mm thick so need 11mm clearance on top or what I have)...was going to post pic, but link for imgur on forum not working...also build with no rgb will be a black box..ok if that look you're going for but you wont see anything inside really

will do slightly different with lian li evo case and add rgb...this will show how price can escalate quickly..will do black case with some white interior to give black/white contrast, but could use micky build above..plenty of space for arctic aio in that

PSU....added white variant of the same psu micky put in. I have a RM1000X in mine which is excellent but costs more
Mobo..not Z690 but this B660 has a pcie gen5 gpu slot and takes 3 nvme gen4 ssd's, and 4080 sound codec, wifi6...so just about the same as a z690 anyway
Zotac 3080 same, comes 5 yrs warranty, but if you buy the preorder one save £30
Evo case cheaper than the corsair at the mo, hese why I put in...
put standard galahad aio in white with st fans...can be had £119 away at the mo saving £30
put the uni fans in..expensive but daisy chainable..with aio in roof exhasing, add 3 at bottom as intake for chimney effect..you can add another 3 down the side intake also creating positive pressure in case, so air pushes out so not sucking dust in (only by fans through a dust filter), and even replace the 3 on aio...as daisychain, they link together so each chain of 3 fans have 2 wires instead of 6..case takes 10 fans..3 top/3 side/3 bottom, 1 back(though would leave that out)..so 6 wires..with standard you'd be looking at 18 wires with standard fans
With Ram, if buy away you can get for £140, or for £152 you can get 32 gb (2 x 16gb) veangeace RGB RT gunmetal 3600C16 which will be ever so slightly faster

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,142.91 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

one reason why I did white is I saw the 5000X in white for £130....that comes with the 3 sp elite fans, and then just get the 360 corsair h150i for roof..it's more expensive than arctic, but more than capable and will fit case...comes with a commander core, couple with the pwm fan hub and lighting node core in case and all fans are covered. same thing with RAM, can get cheaper or in white if so desired​
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,124.92 (includes delivery: £0.00) so knock £84 off price if shop around so £2,040.53)​

You could also save £100 by going 12600k which outperforms a 5800X cpu in most cases, and only a few % behind a 12700k really in gaming​
With the 5000 series, the white case has clear glass, no tint, so you can if you wish ditch the rgb completely and still actually see inside and see the components​
other option is 4000 series case..not quite so deep so will only take a 240mm/280mm in roof but a lot cheaper...can get x variant for £130, airflow for £89, and can get 280mm 115i elite aio for £106 on offer​
Other saving can get an RM850 for £92.99 which is more than enough for the 3080, though like 1000w as they come with 10yrs warranty so should last a future gpu upgrade​
cheers this is really helpful im kinda liking the look of white setup after seeing it there im not gonna lie lol I will keep an eye on the prices of things and see if I can pick up a few deals along the way.

Top Bottom