Need to continuously restart before monitor/devices connect.

Associate
Hello, I've been having an issue lately where it will take me 4/5 hard resets before there's any connection to the monitor and devices (keyboard, mouse. speakers, etc.) but the tower itself seems to be booting like normal when this is happening. Once it does connect everything seems to be working fine so I'm not sure what's causing this problem.

I've unplugged all the devices then re-plugged them in and I've checked inside the computer and all the connectors seem to be in properly too.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I can fix it? Thanks

Soldato
Did anything happen prior to this starting? You didn't change case, move the PC, or something like that?

Do you have a spare display cable?

Purely from the boot problems, I'd speculate it is either a psu problem, or a motherboard problem. It could be a faulty usb device?

Associate
Thanks for the help.

Nothing had been changed with the case as far as I know but I did open it again to make sure everything was plugged in properly and I'm still having the issue.
If it was a PSU/Motherboard issue, would it still boot up eventually like it does now?

I've also disabled fast startup as I read that could be an issue but again no change.

Soldato
If it was a PSU/Motherboard issue, would it still boot up eventually like it does now?

Maybe, maybe not, just shooting in the dark really, only way to know for sure is to test one-by-one. The reason I suggested motherboard is because you have no display and no keyboard, mouse or speakers, which suggests that the motherboard itself is failing to initialise. That could also suggest something like a dying battery, or a degrading overclock (though I'd expect the motherboard to reset to default settings and show an error msg, if that was the case.

The reason I suggested PSU is that it could be struggling when it is turned on to provide enough power, due to fault and as it warms up, the problem goes away.

My first thought would have been a loose connection (e.g. graphics card, display cable) or a loose power cable inside the PC, perhaps due to moving the PC around or adding something to it, but you say that you checked that already.

I suggested a USB device because sometimes if they're malfunctioning they can cause really weird behaviour and hang the whole system.

Associate
Reading through this, sounds like could be PSU related.

My troubleshooting suggestions would be if possible to try:
1. Physically unplug GPU if your build has an iGPU/onboard graphics (could help rule out GPU and the additional load it places on PSU)
2. Got a 2nd monitor you can borrow or test with?
3. Disconnect all external devices and leave just monitor and keyboard and test.

Top Bottom