New socket to replace LGA1366 due in 2011

Associate
Intel appears to be planning a replacement for LGA 1366 for their new Sandy Bridge chips in late 2011. Expected features are PCI-E 3.0 and quad-channel DDR3 (but only one DIMM per channel to maximise bandwidth). The chipset will inevitably be called X68, and my guess is that the socket will be LGA1567 as used on the new 8-core Xeons, or something similar to that. There's no mention of USB 3.0/SATA 6Gbps, but it'd be silly if Intel didn't add those in.

Source

EDIT: After a bit more research, I've discovered the mainstream variant will be Socket 1155/H2, and the enthusiast variant will be Socket 1356/B2. Apparently, high-end Xeons will feature something like 2000 pins for its socket.

Last edited:
Associate
I doubt the socket will be called X68, sounds more like the chipset name to me. Can't say it suprises me that a new socket will be needed, both Intel and AMD will need new ones for there chips next year, but Quad-channel? Don't think theres anything that pushes triple channel atm.

Right about the USB 3 and SATA though, Intel would be stupid not to include them both.

Just a shame the P55/H55 was a little bit, messy. I understand the need for both chipsets, but P55 should of been launched sooner then a few months prior to the refresh. It would be nice to have a CPU launch like ATi did the HD5000 series.

Associate
its a bummer for people that upgraded to LGA 1366 and want replace a cpu down the line without the need for new motherboard.

Associate
My bad, I read the source as "this socket - inevitably being called "X68" not "new chipset that will accompany this socket - inevitably being called "X68"

Man of Honour
intel never keep a socket for long

Does my head in this - AMD really do have it right here but then it's like printing money isn't it? If Intel decide to change the CPU sockets, then they sell a different chipset too.

Quad channel memory is an example of this. Why? Most of us can't even get the most of triple let alone quad.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Does my head in this - AMD really do have it right here but then it's like printing money isn't it? If Intel decide to change the CPU sockets, then they sell a different chipset too.

Quad channel memory is an axample of this. Can't even get the most of triple let alone quad.

At the same time though, how many more people would plump for a new top end CPU if they didn't also have to shell out for a new board/mem?

rpg

rpg

Associate
So that's 1156 and 1366 both EOL next year. So much for people saying about futureproofing.
Some people have had LGA1366 since early 09'. Considering the successor is not going to be released until Q3 2011, they've effectively "future-proofed" their machine for nearly 3 years. That's pretty damn good in the computer industry if you ask me. The reviewer seems to agree also:
The good news is for those who upgraded to LGA1366 in late 2008 or even last year have had a fantastic investment of their money as we expect their systems will continue to be the fastest products available until the replacement late next year.

Soldato
its a bummer for people that upgraded to LGA 1366 and want replace a cpu down the line without the need for new motherboard.

Not really, the hex core, 32nm i7 970 will be coming out in Q3 - so X58 people who have the itch to upgrade can get a shiny new CPU.

Anyway, the i7 920 D0 arrived in Q2 2009 and X58 becomes EOL in Q3 2009 - in my reckoning that's not bad for top-end consumer tech.

Soldato
I've already give up on the idea of buying a socket with an upgrade path. When ever I've upgraded within a platform, I've always been less than impressed. Just say they made a quad i5 4.0ghz CPU one day. Just say they did (C2D started at 1.86Ghz) it would cost a fair bit more than an upto date socket CPU.

Soldato
This has been on the cards and on the Intel roadmap for about a year now. Not surprised. Shame the need for a new socket, but unless AMD can pull something out there's no reason for Intel to be consumer-friendly.

Associate
Intel dont keep longer with the 1156 or 1366 as it look like to be replace by new one for latest new DDR4 that come up in 2012 so AMD still support AM3 for new X6 that you wont spend too much money for upgrade and next year new AM3+ that support AM3 as backward for 32nm AMD Fusion with 8 core... I never use Intel for long time as Im still using AMD since 1999 - I may look at new AMD Phenom II X6 1090T due by this month as it support my Asus M4N82 Deluxe motherboard (BIOS has been updated already for support 6 core).

Associate
Sandy Bridge should be on the 1155 socket, have SATA 600 support, but not USB 3. All SB CPUs will come with IGPs, thats one of the reasons for the new socket. Also SB will support the new 22nm CPUs, 45nm and 32nm were the only supported CPUs on 1156/1366. Intel will be pushing its Lightpeak technology, which is set to replace USB hopefully, if you dont know what lightpeak is, check it out, amazing stuff.

Soldato
Considering the successor is not going to be released until Q3 2011, they've effectively "future-proofed" their machine for nearly 3 years.

Agreed

Sandy Bridge should be on the 1155 socket,

Sandy bridge is the umbrella codename for the new cpus due next year, this will include socket 1155 and this new high end socket. I would expect the high end socket chips to perhaps not have graphics on the cpu.

Top Bottom