Phison says Gen 5 and 6 are HOT HOT

Man of Honour
At this rate we will soon need to watercool our drives. My Adata XPG S70 Gammix Blade runs very warm even under a heatsink that cools the top and the bottom. It was thermal throttling under my motherboards stock heatsink which I later found out was because none of the heatsinks make very good contact with the M2 drives. Bought some third party heatsinks and all is well.

Soldato
That's interesting to hear that the retaining screw accounts for 70% of the heatsinking to the motherboard and using a plastic screw cripples that.

Soldato
That's interesting to hear that the retaining screw accounts for 70% of the heatsinking to the motherboard and using a plastic screw cripples that.
Well, there isn't much any other conductor for heat than that screw with air being in practise thermal insulator.

Soldato
I have several Asus boards which use a plastic retention thing, wonder if that makes a difference.

Soldato
14 and 28w? lol What? If that becomes reality then it's ridiculous. We are going backwards. Current gen4 ones only consume a few watts. Some systems consume less than 28watts at the wall! In this day and age, power usage is a critical factor in new component design and could be the deciding factor for consumers with current energy prices as to whether they commit to certain products. We need to be focussing on lower power usage again. We seemed to be going in that direction for many years then recently it's gone out the window.

Soldato
Soldato
I think that's a problem with the type of memory used rather than the connection type
It's the issue of using Flash memory.
While better than spinning rust, it's still far cry from most other memory types.
(especially memory capable to true random access)

There would be other memories pretty much combining RAM's performance to non-volatility, but marketing just keeps pushing Flash.

Top Bottom