Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Training run, same as martynt and probably just jam and toast or porridge but with porridge it takes longer to settle in my stomach so I need a bigger gap before heading out.

Gel wise, I use high5 gels and have for a while. Taste is good and not too sweet and don’t have any stomach issues. Never had with any brand to be honest but I know others have. High5 are generally cheaper than the likes of sis too.

Gels for training I tend to mix it up depending on how tired I’m feeling pre run. If feeling great I might not use any for 20miles, but I’d probably have at least 1 about half way or so, maybe 2 if feeling like crap.

Races it’s different and assuming I’m pushing my limits id probably take a gel every 4 or so miles.

Soldato
See i probably fuel at a similar level on training runs/races, but then i rarely "race" and for me it's just getting round and pushing that little bit harder than going all out. Although i don't really enter shorter races where pushing yourself is possible. It does make long training runs get expensive though!
I also use Luchos Dilitos which i quite like, but not sure whether i'd buy again as they're quite a bit more expensive than what you can get gels for. I've also been trying to experiment with trail nut mix recently.

Another point is that i'll usually fill my bottles with a carb drink powder. That's ~200kcal per drink.

Guess it depends on your needs. I'm 6'3 and ~100kg and so will be burning a lot more than someone at 70kg!

Soldato
I think the main benefit for me is not having sticky hands afterwards!

It does feel weird having a compostable packaging though but still putting it in my pocket because it doesn't feel right to chuck it on the floor!

Soldato
Another very hot day out today. Again felt much hotter than the 24C forecast is saying!

Anoying issue where my left knee kept getting a bit of pain. Not something i've had before, but yesterday i went out for around a 30 mile bike ride on a new bike and wondering if it's a little out of alignment and so have strained it. I'm not a huge cyclist either so was a fairly bike ride for me.

Not ideal ahead of Saturdays event, but hopefully rest between now and then will be sufficient.

hux

hux

Soldato
Don't really use gels much, only on runs up to a marathon I'll perhaps carry a small flask with three shots in each, just for the quick convenience.
I do enjoy the protein flapjacks from farmfoods, especially the lemon drizzle as they taste great and sit well.
Might try one on my next ultra, they do tend to crumble, but that'll make eating them all the easier.
I'm enjoying the high5 peanut bars Martyn suggested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, you seen any benefit from those knees over toes exercises?

I told myself last night i was going to do loads of foam rolling/stretching to loosen my legs/knee ahead of tomorrows run. Instead i sat on the sofa, drank most of a bottle of wine and then had whisky. I'm certainly my own worst enemy sometimes :p

I had considered getting in touch with the previous guy i'd used to create a training plan to try and structure my weeks a bit better, especially as i've been enjoying cycling a bit more. I know i have the capacity to create my own but mentally sticking to that is tricky. It's where having someone review what i'm doing keeps me accountable, which is something my recent weeks have shown i've been slacking!

However in the end I've just download a Ben Parkes training plan. It was £6 and i figured it's a decent base. It's only a PDF so no handy links to my Garmin or anything like that, but it'll do for a little while. After that i might start considering coaching again. For £50 a month it's not breaking the bank and might see me do better.

Soldato
Just come to bed as need to be up fairly early to get to the Lakes in the morning.

This knee definitely isn’t right. It’s giving way a little now even when just walking. I’ve strapped it up over night and just hoping it holds out. On the plus side the cut offs are generous at 14hours so I can always just take it really, really slow!

hux

hux

Soldato
Don't say that, I've got the Rat coming up in three weeks. I am however throwing everything at it, in hope to heal it fast as I can.
Like yours it has a generous 20 hours cutoff, so should be fine if I don't go mad.

My fingers are very much crossed for you.

Got new wheels in the form of Adidas Pro 3 and I love them, so much cushion hopefully I'll be taking them out tomorrow morning.

Did parkrun today, desperate feeling knackered still managed to best my previous by 7 seconds with a 24.23.

Top Bottom