Racing sim. Full motion simulator for cheap?

Associate
It's an idle thought really. I am very unlikely to get one unless I win the lottery.
I thoroughly enjoy sim racing. I'm not very good but it is fun.
Using a playseat challenge and it's very comfy. Can't complain at all.
Today, I wondered to myself what a full motion rig would be like. There's a chap on Youtube demonstrating a full motion rig he bought for around 2 grand. US dollars, that is. I had a quick look on Amazon uk. The same thing is around £2460, inc delivery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGKdk6apRo

It's a lot of money to spend on a toy. But what a toy :)

Anyone have much experience of the cheaper end full motion racing sim rigs?

Edit. It seems that £2460 does not include vat. Yikes!. I'm definitely not getting one. It may be a low price for a full motion sim but does seem a lot of money for a two or three motors and a frame.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Doesn't include delivery either which is £200+ - doesn't seem a bad price for what it is though. Might keep that in mind generally for a longer term project.

EDIT: Though there are so few games which expose full motion data and do so properly unless you are really really into one of them it would largely be wasted - the force feedback from most games I've found to be pretty meh when you can even get it working properly.

Caporegime
The problem with a lot of rigs is they compensate extra motion for quality. You don't need to be flung around dramatically to make you feel half of the stuff you need to.

Man of Honour
The problem with a lot of rigs is they compensate extra motion for quality. You don't need to be flung around dramatically to make you feel half of the stuff you need to.

Indeed - one of the first things I thought when watching the video in the first post it is definitely one of those things where a little, done well, goes a long way.

Associate
Big kid (61 years old) wants new toy. :)

Oh, fiddlesticks. I've talked myself in to wanting a full motion rig now. Knew that would happen. Not willing to pay the prices I've seen online though. Not for 3 motors and a frame. (Ok, I know that dumbs it down a little bit). I've created a post in the Wanted forum looking for one. Doubt it'll happen but hey, strange things happen now and again.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The frame itself is the cheap bit, I think some Ali strut would be a good bet, keeps the weight down. The motors and control software is what you are paying for at the end of the day. Seems way for fun to build one in retirement rather than a crappy three wheeler.

Commissario
Have you considered a VR headset rather than a motion rig? I 'drove' a VR racing setup a few years ago and you really get immersed into it, even without any motion.

Soldato
Haven't used one but having done a few track days the thing that struck me the most as missing from a driving simulation is the g force on the body and I dont see how a moving chair can help with that.

I can haz 3090?
Don
Every time you post about expanding your sim rig it makes me want to start building mine. Stop making me think about spending money :D

Top Bottom