• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 worth it over RTX 3070?

Soldato
With DLSS being such a "game changer" I can see Nvidia doing themselves out of most of their 4XXX sales. Who needs it when you have all the bells and whistles turned on and DLSS?

Soldato
Well it could be worse I guess. Like rushing to release ReBAR as their competitor beat em to it, get the check in the marketing box and then leave it to stagnate.

Associate
Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but would the 3070 be a good fit with my 9700k @4.9ghz and 32GB ram?

I'm looking at upgrading from my 980ti, and the price looks good direct from the nvdia store.

I have a 4k monitor, but happy to scale down to 1440p when needed.

My PSU is also 650W I believe.

Caporegime
With DLSS being such a "game changer" I can see Nvidia doing themselves out of most of their 4XXX sales. Who needs it when you have all the bells and whistles turned on and DLSS?

As shown, even with dlss/fsr, we are lacking the grunt for high refresh rate 1440/4k especially for RT so there are a lot of people who will want/need 40xx/rdna 3 to bring more grunt to the table.

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but would the 3070 be a good fit with my 9700k @4.9ghz and 32GB ram?

I'm looking at upgrading from my 980ti, and the price looks good direct from the nvdia store.

I have a 4k monitor, but happy to scale down to 1440p when needed.

My PSU is also 650W I believe.

It will be fine but you'll still find it holding you back, even at 4k.

What games do you play?

With DLSS and FSR 2, you will still get IQ as good or better than 4k as opposed to just simply scaling down to 1440p.

Caporegime
Haha. Yea. I was looking for a way fit “have an axe to grind” in a post :p :cry:

Talk about your sig, just finished watching the latest episode of BCS. That was a good episode! :D
There are plenty of opportunities for you to use that with them lot :p ;) :D :cry:

And yup, it's a fantastic show, getting very dark and gritty now!

Reactions: TNA
Associate
I just picked up a 3070FE after my Asus rog strix 3090 died and have been pleasantly surprised by the 3070. I have had to take everything off the maximum graphics settings but honestly it’s not that noticeable. Would keep the 3070 and wait till the 4000 series for an upgrade.

Associate
As shown, even with dlss/fsr, we are lacking the grunt for high refresh rate 1440/4k especially for RT so there are a lot of people who will want/need 40xx/rdna 3 to bring more grunt to the table.

It will be fine but you'll still find it holding you back, even at 4k.

What games do you play?

With DLSS and FSR 2, you will still get IQ as good or better than 4k as opposed to just simply scaling down to 1440p.

If i'm honest, I mostly play League, and a bit of Assesto Corsa and ACC. I moved from Flight Simulator on my PC to the Series X because it looked and ran better on the xbox, but would be good to get it back on the PC.

I have a couple of free games from Epics games store that I would like to try like Rage 2 and watchdogs 2.

I do a lot of video editing, so having a new gpu would help with rendering out and playback also.

Soldato
OP
Well as it goes im glad i picked up the 3080 as i got a decent proced 4k monitor off facebook marketplace.

Fortnite plays nice at 4k all epic settings with RTX and DLSS on i get about 60fps on average. Pretty good, but i cant really tell much difference so ive turned RTX off and put DLSS on quality and get about 90fps so pretty pleased.

Tried COD WW2 and in the shipment map on max settings i was getting a solid 60fps ( must have vsync on or capped frames at it never changed at all from 60fps ). At one point i saw VRAM usage of 9700Mb. Never seen anyting like that kind of usage before.

Top Bottom