Shed base tips

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've not come to a decision yet on securing the slabs to the base, there are a number of options though like pins that hook onto the plastic grid panels underneath. The grids are all filled in with pea gravel for added rigidity. Pins would stop the slabs from moving but tbh the weight of them combined with the weight of the metal shed, it's unlikely they are moving anywhere really I guess.

I think a good option will be to secure the outer slabs to the base with pins and the inners are left in-place as the shed will be covering those anyway. Then once the shed walls are up, secure the walls to the slabs from the outside using L brackets or hook pins. I did plan on sealing around the edges once all that is done to stop water ingress as well and then I can just floor liner the interior and call it a day.

Soldato
Did you look at ground screw / screw pile ?

My location is really rocky so more trouble getting the equipment to jack out rock. But soft ground this would speed up and might not be that costly.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah I had some spare standard mixed use silicone sealant but silka flex looks to be better suited for all season outdoor use, will add that cheers.

Did you look at ground screw / screw pile ?

My location is really rocky so more trouble getting the equipment to jack out rock. But soft ground this would speed up and might not be that costly.

Had not considered this yet but I guess once the slabs are in place and shed is built, I could anchor the corner slabs with ground screws attached to corner brackets that stop the slabs from lifting/moving, this in turn secures the rest of the slabs so I'd only need 4 ground screws (or equivalent if there's a cheaper option) - I can sort this out after all bits are done though as there will be a good area of excess slab surrounding the shed so will explore!

Soldato
The cheapest and easiest way imo is

Just concrete the base.
Dig out area 11feet x 11feet at 75mm deep.
Put some 3x2 timber along perimeter, make sure tops are level.
Either mix your own or get concrete delivered

1m3 premixed will be plenty or 2 tonnes of ballast and 12 bags of cement if mixing your own

Soldato
The cheapest and easiest way imo is

Just concrete the base.
Dig out area 11feet x 11feet at 75mm deep.
Put some 3x2 timber along perimeter, make sure tops are level.
Either mix your own or get concrete delivered
This is where my head is now after hearing all of the complications.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Too late for concrete pouring now, everything but the slabs already ordered :p

Tbh it's not a massive undertaking, and also means if needed in the future, the shed location can be changed easily whereas with poured concrete, that's not going anywhere!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have an update on progress.

The de-grassing was a bit of a mission, especially as it's all being done manually without machinery. The grids are brilliantly novel and worked great. The aggregate was faff because both bulk bags of the stuff is out front and weigh 800KG+ so have to shovel and wheelbarrow back and forth endlessly. The builder's sand too!

In the end used up all of the sand pretty much, one whole bulk bag of aggregate too laying around 50mm to compact also accounting for the pathway that leads up to the shed you can see. The pathway was a last minute plan so I have ordered more grids to cover that area and will be using larger 20mm gravel to fill that area in and keep it just gravel so the bikes etc can be washed on it on the stand with water just being absorbed through the gravel. NO need for paving here. The shed surround will be gravelled too so water can run off and it looks nicer too.

Still lots to do, I have ordered an IP68 rated power junction box and 25 metres of tubing and cable to run power and lighting to the shed. Also need to order the exterior sealant and will later wrap the roof panels with something more waterproof as there are factory holes and water ingress channels around the shed so want to seal those up.

The interior corners have anchor points so will bolt each corner to the concrete slabs from the inside securing the position. The concrete slabs I managed to get for free from a mate who is redoing his garden and had his 600x600x35mm slabs going for free :cool:

Oh yeah I ran out of 10mm gravel bags, I ordered 8x large bags but needed to order 15 more to cover just the shed base grids lol.

base.jpg

shed-up_1.jpg

shed-up_2.jpg

The interior of the shed will have a hard-wearing liner for the flooring.

Once all is done, the final touches will be an ankle height perimeter around the whole garden for composting and tending to fruit plants and flowers etc. painting the fencing, nice little tree house for birds on the tree you see in the last pic as they seem to love the little feeders already there so want to install cooler digs for them. Also got plenty of space on the left of teh shed for a DIY greenhouse.

I'll also need to buy a Ring floodlight with camera aimed at the shed for some added security.

Sunday was basically 9am wake up, have breakfast and get to work . Stopped at 9pm :o

Soldato
Looks tidy mrk. You guys' are gluten for punishments with these pea gravel paths though. I have about 30 stones a week leak through my neighbors side and it makes me rage :D

• Haha
Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
20mm gravel will at least make it less /things/ :D

Cheers! I am aching all over today haha.

I found the edging that would be perfect for the path, shed base surround and even plant edging along the fence. Not too shabby really!

Soldato
Yeah that looks decent. I noticed my local garden centre has lots of recycled tyre compound type edging too, which didn't look too bad and comes in slightly larger lengths + is flexible.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Shed update, so a pigeon that turns out is a racing pigeon has been making daily stops ever since work started on the shade and now comes twice a day morning and afternoon to eat some seed and explore for a bit before flying off. I imagine this stop is on his rout and then again on the return flight. Never knew racing pigeons were a thing but it's all cool to look after them if they stop by your garden it turns out :cool:

As for the shed, got power routed into there now so have lighting and a spare socket. Wall drawers and a "tool wall" have yet to arrive, and I will order a workbench with drawers soon too for one side. So far all good. Weatehrproof sealant applied to all areas where water can ingress and the ground slabs have been sealed onto the shed context surround as well.

Associate
You may want to look into stopping the condensation you'll probably get with a metal shed. You could line the floor and put a wooden floor deck in or use something like Grafo Therm which absorbs the moisture then it wicks away through the day with ventilation.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So far have not had any issues with condensation ans we have had a couple of stormy wet nights as well. There were a few water leaks as expected with these tin sheds but I have sealed these up on both sides with the black Silka Flex. I've strategically left some gaps for airflow as well so will see how that fairs and have only sealed the concrete slabs on the outside areas leaving the inside slabs basiclaly touching each other so air and any remnant moisture can evaporate through the air channel created by the gaps. Will keep monitoring it though of course and update as necessary.

Today some tool organisation stuff arrived for the bike stuff, still got two 1.4m tall shelving units to arrive from Ikea along with a tool orgnising drawer to be wall mounted too. Based on where the shelving goes, I can fashion a folding workbench as well which can be used as an when needed and when not in use, have some open space to work on the bike with the bike stand fully open.

bEtNUQI.jpg

Soldato
The big spikey spiders will love those strategic gaps!!

I started my ride on mower up in my snug fit ghetto shelter and it was like a scene out of aliens they were all crawling out - massive ones I tell ya!

Top Bottom