Shoddy workmanship ?

Associate
I had 4 doors fitted last week and I just popping the bathroom door off to prime and under coat the bottom before glossing to seal as it's the Bathroom and found this :

Soldato
If he's taken some off the top as well it may have been necessary to get the door to fit, hard to say. I've seen it been required at places.

As it's not a part of the door you can see it's not normally an issue, as it's a bathroom door just PVA glue it 3 times to seal it and then do everything else as normal.

Associate
Thanks for replies

Howdens door

Door frame is 1930mm x 725mm at thinnest

Top is sold wood

I have the off cuts I was thinking using a inner piece of wood and pushing it inside then glue clamp till dry and seal it

Last edited:
Soldato
As it’s for the bathroom that’s not going to be good for the door at all. As said above he should have trimmed too and bottom but hasn’t.

Soldato
Thanks for replies

Howdens door

Door frame is 1930mm x 725mm at thinnest

Top is sold wood

I have the off cuts I was thinking using a inner piece of wood and pushing it inside then glue clamp till dry and seal it
I'd be getting in touch with the cowboy who fitted it and telling him he'd better sort it.

Man of Honour
That is so gash, he's cut into the no cut section instead of doing the job properly and taking some from the top and the bottom. I would be checking the other doors he fitted as well and would definately be getting him to replace the ones he has done that to at his own cost.

Soldato
Christ, this is why since we bought our house I've barley paid a tradesman to do anything and done practically everything myself. They let you down at every, single, possible, stage.

Whether that's not turning up to quote, not turning up to start the work, being impossible to contact, starting but not finishing the work, moving the goalposts for what they said they'd do, taking too long to finish, shoddy workman ship, shoddy finish, making a mess, breaking something else, trying to add on hidden charges or failing to provide certificates on completion.

It's taking me 6 months to complete any room, taking up my evenings and weekends and still costing me a fortune, but would do it every time again.

Anyway... Back on topic... Even if the door was "too large" for the opening and you had to take off more than the trim allowance (top and bottom) this is super easy to fix. By cutting off the wooden block (that's been cut off anyway cause the door was too tall!) removing the door facing with a chisel from the block and then gluing the wood block back inside, you get a perfect finish.

How do I know this? Because after 3 years of DIYing my entire house renovation I'm a better than some joiners with a lifetime of experience. Some folk are a waste of space.

Soldato
I couldn’t quite believe that photograph - the fact he did it, didn’t say anything and then installed it anyway…. Jesus. Totally unacceptable

Soldato
Christ, this is why since we bought our house I've barley paid a tradesman to do anything and done practically everything myself. They let you down at every, single, possible, stage.

Whether that's not turning up to quote, not turning up to start the work, being impossible to contact, starting but not finishing the work, moving the goalposts for what they said they'd do, taking too long to finish, shoddy workman ship, shoddy finish, making a mess, breaking something else, trying to add on hidden charges or failing to provide certificates on completion.

It's taking me 6 months to complete any room, taking up my evenings and weekends and still costing me a fortune, but would do it every time again.

Anyway... Back on topic... Even if the door was "too large" for the opening and you had to take off more than the trim allowance (top and bottom) this is super easy to fix. By cutting off the wooden block (that's been cut off anyway cause the door was too tall!) removing the door facing with a chisel from the block and then gluing the wood block back inside, you get a perfect finish.

How do I know this? Because after 3 years of DIYing my entire house renovation I'm a better than some joiners with a lifetime of experience. Some folk are a waste of space.
I'm finding this too, it takes me longer as I'm doing jobs as and when, but some of the people I've had in were just poor.

Associate
@ RoyMi6

That's how I've fitted previous door myself if an odd size and glue the off cut inside.

I've just had my pre-op for full hip replacement in a couple months so I can't do this type of job currently or many others that in involves kneeling .

He came recommended as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a chippy in to hang my doors (Same door as those) and when he fitted door handle he drilled too deep and came out of a panel.

I to am now past being able to do this sort of job. Right ****** me of

Soldato
OK so this isn't as straight forward as he's cut too much off the bottom. Before jumping up and down on him, You'll ideally need to check the other doors you have. He may have been making them all look the same. However he really should have used the infill from the bit he cut off to seal the existing.. Thats just lazy.

Associate
That’s shocking, I’d be furious. As others have said I’ve just started doing everything myself. We can’t throw everyone into the same bucket but all i seem to ever hear or read about is just one **** up after another or getting messed around for one reason or another.

Soldato
Yep, this is why I do most jobs myself. You just can't rely on most tradesmen to do a decent job these days. Sure it'll take me a bit longer, but I know I'll do a better job.

Soldato
Sadly the amount of timber used in doors nowadays is dreadful
So being able to cut some off the top as well as the bottom often will not work.Thickness of timber is usually about 15mm :( .And it can look naff cutting some off of the top as well
I always rescue the cut off and glue it back into the bottom

Top Bottom