Should I be upgrading?

Associate
Hey all, back in 2017 my dad and I built a PC for my 16th birthday. I am now turning 21 and wondering if I should be upgrading my PC. My specs are as follows;
CPU - Intel(R) Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
RAM - 16.0 GB
Graphics - Radeon RX480
Motherboard - ASUSTek Z710 PRO GAMING
A little unsure on budget at the current moment, however I think the £1000=£1200 is my estimation, with some wriggle room.
I usually play lower end games, such as Sonic Adventure 2, Fallout New Vegas and Borderlands 2 for example. Though I'd like to play higher end games such as Elden Ring and Apex Legends. I recently tried playing Sunset Overdrive and found my PC was really struggling maintaining a good frame rate, so much so that I had to drop the games graphical settings slightly, remove certain VFX and cap the game at 30FPS, yet still it can be shaky at times. (This could just be me being dumb and not realising there is a memory issue or something) But even with that aside, are my current specs still good enough for 2022? Or should I really see about buying some new parts. If so, I'd love some recommendations. Thanks! (please bear in mind I am not uber computer literate, and I also have autism, so if I do not immediately understand what you are saying I apologise)

Soldato
Your pc isn't to bad a new graphics card is where i would start this would give you the fps you need as the rx 480 is showing its age.

Something like a rx 6600/6600xt should double your fps.

Do you have an ssd drive ?

Unless you want to do a complete new pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of these games should run fine with the hardware you have, Elden Ring also has fairly modest requirements for a brand new game.

I'm not aware of Sunset Overdrive, so it's hard to say if the graphics card or the CPU is the problem. From this article, it appears that you should be fine, so I'm not sure why is not? Do you play at 1080p?

I think I'd go for an RX 6600, as suggested above, and then if you are still having problems, you can think about the CPU.

Associate
Your pc isn't to bad a new graphics card is where i would start this would give you the fps you need as the rx 480 is showing its age.

Something like a rx 6600/6600xt should double your fps.

Do you have an ssd drive ?

Unless you want to do a complete new pc.
I'll have a look into that card. Thank you for the suggestion.
And I do have an SSD.
I think I'd prefer upgrading the same PC for the time being until I move, then I may look into something more powerful from scratch.

Associate
Most of these games should run fine with the hardware you have, Elden Ring also has fairly modest requirements for a brand new game.

I'm not aware of Sunset Overdrive, so it's hard to say if the graphics card or the CPU is the problem. From this article, it appears that you should be fine, so I'm not sure why is not? Do you play at 1080p?

I think I'd go for an RX 6600, as suggested above, and then if you are still having problems, you can think about the CPU.
I went and checked the min requirements and the test seemed to dictate I'd be fine, but playing with the base graphical settings (1080p) seemed like too much for my PC to handle. I think I only went down to 990p and had to remove graphical flourishes like Bloom and motion blur to get it to be more stable.
And I'll definitely be looking into the card.

Soldato
I went and checked the min requirements and the test seemed to dictate I'd be fine, but playing with the base graphical settings (1080p) seemed like too much for my PC to handle. I think I only went down to 990p and had to remove graphical flourishes like Bloom and motion blur to get it to be more stable.
And I'll definitely be looking into the card.

Hmm, I would imagine bloom and motion blur is handled by the graphics card, but I could be wrong. Dropping the resolution usually helps the graphics card, more than it helps the CPU.

You could try asking for advice on the game's forum (if it has one) about how to optimise your settings?

Soldato
You could go for something like a cheap B550 + ryzen 5 5600 with a 3060ti, should come to around £750 for the lot.

Associate
I'd be tempted to hold off a month or so. If they do bring out the 4000 series nvidia cards early, even if only the 4090, prices will drop a bit on current cards.
With that kind of budget, maybe look at a 3070/6750xt then. They should handle any game 1080p for forseable future(they should handle 1440p). You never know , a AAA game might take your fancy...

Associate
Hey all, back in 2017 my dad and I built a PC for my 16th birthday. I am now turning 21 and wondering if I should be upgrading my PC. My specs are as follows;
CPU - Intel(R) Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
RAM - 16.0 GB
Graphics - Radeon RX480
Motherboard - ASUSTek Z710 PRO GAMING
A little unsure on budget at the current moment, however I think the £1000=£1200 is my estimation, with some wriggle room.
I usually play lower end games, such as Sonic Adventure 2, Fallout New Vegas and Borderlands 2 for example. Though I'd like to play higher end games such as Elden Ring and Apex Legends. I recently tried playing Sunset Overdrive and found my PC was really struggling maintaining a good frame rate, so much so that I had to drop the games graphical settings slightly, remove certain VFX and cap the game at 30FPS, yet still it can be shaky at times. (This could just be me being dumb and not realising there is a memory issue or something) But even with that aside, are my current specs still good enough for 2022? Or should I really see about buying some new parts. If so, I'd love some recommendations. Thanks! (please bear in mind I am not uber computer literate, and I also have autism, so if I do not immediately understand what you are saying I apologise)
Get an RTX 3080 and you’ll be happy.

Your system is fine.

Top Bottom