Takeaway / fast food general discussion

Soldato
Went to five guys in Canterbury once, never again, bloody £16 for a burger, chips and a drink... proper mad.

Started buying Chicago Town pizzas instead of Dominoes and Tops Pizza, saves me a fair bit.

Commissario
For an American diner in the UK, I recommend Ed's Diner in Selfridge's in the Birmingham Bull Ring.
Ed’s Diner is a chain and like all of these chains, some can be decent, others not so good.

They do a decent pancake stack for breakfast and their breakfast is bottomless. Clear your plate and they’ll fill it up again (at least, this was the case pre-covid, I’ve not been since).

Soldato
Given the way the price of things is lately I decided to try to be a bit frugal with the weekend takeout.

2x 9” pizzas
2x burger meals

£10 inc delivery from a local place (never used before) using a 2-1 offer and 50% off from ubereats.

Big mistake, was horrific. but I guess you get what you pay for :D

Soldato
2x 9” pizzas
2x burger meals

£10 inc delivery from a local place (never used before) using a 2-1 offer and 50% off from ubereats.
after watching in the factory episode on icelands frozen stonebaked pizza made in italy - I supect that maybe the way to go, looked good quality ingredients,
frozen stuff seems to have a stigma these days, but for vegetables, even turkeys can be a good option, will the pizza be crisp though.

They do a decent pancake stack for breakfast and their breakfast is bottomless.
seem to be just 11 locations left - fried chicken&waffles their breakfast menu suggests - Arbuckles is still on my bucket list for breakfast pancakes, but, only 2 in cambridge.

Ed’s Diner is a chain and like all of these chains, some can be decent, others not so good.

They do a decent pancake stack for breakfast and their breakfast is bottomless. Clear your plate and they’ll fill it up again (at least, this was the case pre-covid, I’ve not been since).

Cheers. Again, didn't realise they were a chain :)

Soldato
after watching in the factory episode on icelands frozen stonebaked pizza made in italy - I supect that maybe the way to go, looked good quality ingredients,
frozen stuff seems to have a stigma these days, but for vegetables, even turkeys can be a good option, will the pizza be crisp though.

seem to be just 11 locations left - fried chicken&waffles their breakfast menu suggests - Arbuckles is still on my bucket list for breakfast pancakes, but, only 2 in cambridge.

one time I asked for a 'made in store' pizza in Sainsbury's I was a bit disappointed when the woman said 'the bases have just been delivered and are still rock hard!', bit naive i suppose and hadn't really gave it much thought but I kinda assumed they made the bases in store, not delivered frozen!

fez

fez

Soldato
Had one a while ago for the first time and it was nice but as others have said, really expensive for what is essentially a fast food burger. I was expecting it to be about 2/3rd of what it ended up being.

Soldato
Best burgers I've had from a takeaway style place is a company called Oh My Grill based in Torquay, decently priced at around £9 for a 1/2lb burger, I like the surrender monkey one which has brie and cranberry on it, along with an assortment of lettece and tomatoe etc.

Associate
Quite lucky where i live, you can still buy a top quality beef burger in the local butchers for £1.15, cook it yourself in 12 minutes and have a stunning burger

Caporegime
Just get a packet of mince for £2, enough beef there to make 4 smashed burgers, or 3 thick boys. The only difference is that you need to shape it yourself.

It cost

50p for the beef
25p for the bun
5p for the onions (£1 get you a kg of onions)
5p for the pickles
10p slice of cheese
10p for the ketchup?
+ fuel + time

About £1.10 or so each really

TtunRHq.jpg

Soldato
Make my own pretty much every week. Bacon avocado is my current fav. I spend far too much time watching George Motz, Kenji and Joshua Weissman videos...

Crown (Top bun)
Cheese
Smash burger
Bacon (Crispy)
Tomato slices
Avocado slices
Mayo
Heel (Bottom bun)

Probably 2 quid each with decent quality ingredients.

Caporegime
Can even get Big Mac style burger sauce from M&S. Home made burgers or local butchers burgers are so good.

I’d rather have a crappy Rustlers burger than a typical fast food one even, at least I can toast the bread properly etc.. (they’re often discounted to £1.50 in my local Tesco).

Caporegime
These Korean fried chicken wings, there are double that shown here.

£2 for a packet, Tesco sell them all cut up already.
need about 50p of oil
spring onions 40p a bunch
Table spoon of the korean chilli paste gochujang, they are about £5 a tub, you need 2 tablespoons...so like 50p?
+ salt, pepper, 100g of flour, bit of milk, bit of honey/sugar
+ fuel and time.

I would say...this can be done for £5 easily, it feeds 3 people easily and it is better than KFC.

4w5yqyr.jpg

The only down side is all the washing up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom