The Climbing Thread

Soldato
Annoyingly, I did it a couple months ago and it's taken this long to get the referral started with the NHS!

I went to a sports physio first at the start of September and he said he suspects a torn meniscus and that I could really do with an MRI to see the damage. He told me he had the contacts to get it sorted privately, but it's not going to be cheap as I don't have insurance so I said I'd check out the NHS route first. I had the appointment with my GP towards the end of September and it's taken a month for the knee clinic to get my referral. They've now said it's going to be another 12-16 weeks before they can see me, let alone getting it scanned. At this point stumping up £5k is looking like a good option just to get it sorted quickly as I'm going stir crazy.

Associate
Annoyingly, I did it a couple months ago and it's taken this long to get the referral started with the NHS!

I went to a sports physio first at the start of September and he said he suspects a torn meniscus and that I could really do with an MRI to see the damage. He told me he had the contacts to get it sorted privately, but it's not going to be cheap as I don't have insurance so I said I'd check out the NHS route first. I had the appointment with my GP towards the end of September and it's taken a month for the knee clinic to get my referral. They've now said it's going to be another 12-16 weeks before they can see me, let alone getting it scanned. At this point stumping up £5k is looking like a good option just to get it sorted quickly as I'm going stir crazy.

Ouch, I damaged mine in May earlier this year (not a full year thankfully) and it’s taken till now to really get over it.

hopefully you can get sorted ASAP!

Soldato
Did a whole day at Stanage Sunday, got there at 8...bit nippy. Had to toprope solo until lunchtime as this climbing group don't get up early :p

My main objective this year has been to get my first trad lead done.....I was a bit worried about running out of decent weather, but managed it. Went up an easy VD first to make sure I had it all straight in my head. Then led Manchester Buttress HS 4b which was more exciting. First I completely ballsed up the starting arete, going up the wrong side and got pumped as hell before managing to get round the right side and getting gear in. I didn't see the crimp in the traverse break either so ended up just flopping my way around the crux corner :D

Had to borrow some stuff again, so been shopping today!

Soldato
I haven't seen 14peaks yet, but this is currently running on Quest channel , start looked promising.
Everest's Greatest Mystery
https://www.facebook.com/Discovery/...e-top-of-everest-before-sir-/679597116003640/
Mountaineer Jake Norton and his team search the upper reaches of Everest for undiscovered clues that prove who was the first climber to reach the summit

from Quest trailers looks like they may have other upcoming mountaineering material ?

Soldato
So, climbing plans for the year?

Last year my aim was simple, get into trad and start leading. Mission accomplished!

This year, mostly just want to climb, a lot...but in terms of specific aims, I want to start doing big multi-pitch mountain routes. Will probably be able to tick that one in a few weeks as I'm leading a club meet in Snowdonia.

Was meant to start some Scottish winter this month but weather put paid to that. Not going to have another chance this year due to starting a new job sadly.

Been working some 7a boulders outside that I'm pretty sure I'll tick in the next couple months.

Looking further ahead, I am seriously considering taking a month off in January to chill and climb in Spain/Tenerife.

Soldato
For once, I've actually been happy with the lack of winter conditions. It means I haven't had to sit inside with my dodgy knee getting jealous of everyone else having fun! :cry:

I had my op yesterday so I'm hoping I can start breaking myself back into it in a few weeks time. I've not climbed outdoors since last October though so my hill fitness is going to be shot. Never know though, I might manage to catch the end of the winter season.

I want to start doing big multi-pitch mountain routes.

I can high recommend Main Wall on Cyrn Las. It's one of my favourite low grade big mountain routes. Nice bit of variation on the pitches and the exposure and setting are fantastic. If you want a full day out, you can start with something on Dinas Mot, carry on up Main Wall then finish on Gambit Climb and Reades Route.

Soldato
Sadly my week off between jobs is a bust weather wise. Probably get some soggy mountain trudges in if I'm lucky.

Been ploughing through some books and concentrating on training a bit more. Been reading Dave MacLeod's book which isn't really anything novel, but does hit the nail on the head. Took it to heart today, I am very guilty of cruising around routes I can do and not failing enough on things I can't do, so decided today I won't climb anything I've already climbed.....and whaddya know, I sent 3 project boulders that had been shutting me down for weeks :rolleyes:

Soldato
Finally got out yesterday, had a day up at Stanage. Starting to find my feet so to speak on gritstone.

Wore my soft bouldering shoes instead of stiff Katana Laces....so much better on grit, I really trusted the smears and standing on slopey break. Head game was much better, led my first VS, then first HVS to finish the day. Felt pretty solid and will be breaking into the E grades in the coming weeks.

Hope this weather keeps up!

Top Bottom