The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Joined
14 Oct 2009
Posts
9,443
Location
UK
Provisional completion and exchange date discussed further...Looking at second week of July. Perhaps this finally will be the one!
Paid the fees today to solicitor inc deposit, stamp duty and their conveyancing fees etc. Nearly keeled over in Natwest as I sent that CHAPS payment. I have had job interviews easier than the interrogation I went through :D
 
Associate
Joined
31 May 2005
Posts
1,932
Location
Alfreton,Derbyshire
Has anyone purchased a property where it's unregistered at the land registry and the seller (due to death) potentially can't locate the deeds etc. Would be good to know if the indemnity insurance can help, whilst issues are resolved
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
Well, we had a sudden flurry of activity which meant we were looking at possible completion this Friday. But as usual, PPL (****-Poor Lawyers) missed an email from our solicitor on Saturday detailing a few requests that needed to be answered today - the vendor's solicitor didn't read/didn't bother sorting yesterday, and is off today. Absolutely typical. Looks like our solicitor will have to cancel the funds request and then re-request, meaning we just lost a few more days. I can't believe how crap PPL are, they are off-the-chart appalling.
 
Soldato
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Posts
12,785
In all fairness they received an email on Saturday that needed actioning in 48 hours - that should have been followed up by your solicitor given the urgency.
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
In all fairness they received an email on Saturday that needed actioning in 48 hours - that should have been followed up by your solicitor given the urgency.
But it was followed up this morning which is how we discovered the normal solicitor was off and hadn't left anything to be done by today's stand-in :p oh well. Another 5 days seems like nothing compared to the three months of delay we've already had thanks to these solicitors!
 
Soldato
Joined
28 Dec 2017
Posts
6,616
Location
London/Beds
Has anyone purchased a property where it's unregistered at the land registry and the seller (due to death) potentially can't locate the deeds etc. Would be good to know if the indemnity insurance can help, whilst issues are resolved
I believe that's the position we're in - certainly the house had been owned since 1967 by the now deceased occupant. Problem is, we got keys 10 weeks ago and still haven't had the documents. I genuinely believe the solicitor hasn't sent the completion/transfer paperwork for the land registry. They've done that before.
 
Associate
Joined
31 May 2005
Posts
1,932
Location
Alfreton,Derbyshire
I believe that's the position we're in - certainly the house had been owned since 1967 by the now deceased occupant. Problem is, we got keys 10 weeks ago and still haven't had the documents. I genuinely believe the solicitor hasn't sent the completion/transfer paperwork for the land registry. They've done that before.

So my understanding is that the sale can complete as normal, assuming there is indemnity insurance to cover any gaps and to keep the lender happy? But then the process of registering should take place up to three months after, which should be fine
 
Soldato
Joined
29 Jun 2004
Posts
12,954
I received an email from the solicitors saying everyone was ready to exchange. Hopefully we exchange today. Completion due 12th July.

Started the process back in early March!

I'm glad I locked in a 5 year fixed - by the looks of it my 5 year fixed might end up being lower that the BoE base rate!
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Oct 2009
Posts
9,443
Location
UK
Paid the fees today to solicitor inc deposit, stamp duty and their conveyancing fees etc. Nearly keeled over in Natwest as I sent that CHAPS payment. I have had job interviews easier than the interrogation I went through :D
Money received by solicitor. Building insurance purchased and confirmation of exchange completed!

Completion is on schedule for next week. Fingers crossed.
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
Our solicitors are now aiming to get everything sorted, exchange over the next few days, and complete next Friday. Fingers crossed for us too!
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Apr 2014
Posts
2,502
Location
West London
Our ongoing purchase is proving to be a nightmare

We were going to move our current mortgage deal from our current lender (and borrow a bit extra) and we had the meetings which all went well, then when they finally pulled their finger out and did a desktop survey many weeks later they have refused to lend on the new place.

We're 3 years into a 5 year fixed deal with them (move was not expected - but a baby showed up mid pandemic).

Finally found a new lender who's not got crazy rates (just before the base rate rise thankfully) and have an offer now at 2.64% fixed for 3 years which is reasonable but not awesome - so have that out the way.

Still waiting for searches to come back from local authority, 7-10 days was the estimate, and it's been nearly 8 weeks. Hopefully solicitors won't have to make too many enquiries off of the back the results or we're not going to be moving anytime soon.

Very worried our chain is going to collapse of things don't start moving - as people down the chain are at risk of their mortgage offers expiring and the same deals might not be available to them now if they need to get another.

After this move I never want to have to move again.
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
Money received by solicitor. Building insurance purchased and confirmation of exchange completed!

Completion is on schedule for next week. Fingers crossed.
Hope you don't mind me asking - did you get only building insurance and you'll add contents once you move in, or did you get building and contents now just to be ready when you get in? We'll be exchanging in a few days so looking to be prepared when I look for/buy insurance...
 
Associate
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Posts
1,087
Good news today, the homebuyers survey on the house we are buying suggested we investigate a few things, CCTV down drains as there lots of trees and shrubs around them (there are 4 drains) plus a cavity wall tie check on one wall (main part of the house was built in the late 1920s).

The drains were fine and the cavity wall tie check was yesterday, the bottom half of the wall is fine but it has been recommended we get the ties in the upper wall renewed/replaced, there are a few horizontal cracks and a borescope in the wall has confirmed they are corroded. The old ties will either be removed or isolated with room for them expand as they corrode further.

It doesn't need doing immediately, but don't leave it for 5 years was the advice. The soffits, fascias and guttering at the back could do with a refresh as well as it happens, they don't need changing but they look really shabby and tired and if a jobs worth doing. So I'll get it all done at pretty much straight away. Attacking it all at once means I'm only paying for scaffolding once as well.

Solicitor has advised we are ready to exchange on the purchase, but the sale on our place needs to catch up first as our original buyer dropped out.

New buyer has mortgage offer in place, mortgage valuation was fine, the homebuyers survey was fine - nothing to investigate prior to exchange, so it's just searches. Unfortunately our buyers solicitor is a bit of a chopper and not the most efficient, our buyer knows this and to be fair is pushing hard to get it sorted as is our EA.

A little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Soldato
Joined
12 Mar 2008
Posts
22,167
Location
West sussex
Hope you don't mind me asking - did you get only building insurance and you'll add contents once you move in, or did you get building and contents now just to be ready when you get in? We'll be exchanging in a few days so looking to be prepared when I look for/buy insurance...
To be honest most buildings insurances ask for the contents by default. A combined thing. Think ours was £140 a year and we started it on the day of exchange.
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Oct 2009
Posts
9,443
Location
UK
Hope you don't mind me asking - did you get only building insurance and you'll add contents once you move in, or did you get building and contents now just to be ready when you get in? We'll be exchanging in a few days so looking to be prepared when I look for/buy insurance...
I decided to go for Buildings and Contents. Just so it's sorted.

I went with Santander for home insurance. Process was nice and easy, I just went with a 50k contents I think and 20k personal belongings which is jewellery, laptops and so on both in and outside the house (Inc international)
£28pm roughly I think.

I have a plan of moving our joint account to Santander123 as you can get cashback on mortgages and their home insurance and every little helps lol
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
Thanks @Biz.Kid09 and @grudas ! Quite the difference in your prices there :p guess I'll get some quotes for now and see what happens. My car insurance offers 10% off Aviva home so that could be a nice little discount.
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Oct 2009
Posts
9,443
Location
UK
Thanks @Biz.Kid09 and @grudas ! Quite the difference in your prices there :p guess I'll get some quotes for now and see what happens. My car insurance offers 10% off Aviva home so that could be a nice little discount.
Definitely worth having a look, plenty of offers on Quidco and TopCashback etc. It seems much of a muchness really, good and bad reviews for all companies and its just one of those things you hope you never have to use.
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Oct 2009
Posts
9,443
Location
UK
Mine was a one off annual payment. Probably why it’s cheaper. With admiral I believe.
Interestingly Santander have the same price for pay monthly or all up front and having wiped myself out of immediate funds, the direct debit was a blessing.

I sort of rushed into it in all honesty as the solicitor was chasing me. I think £28 isn't too bad and well in line with other quotes on the comparison sites. I will have a deeper dive when it comes round to the renewal.
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Posts
5,251
Location
UK
I also didn't consider we could be looking at vastly different house and contents value! Our house rebuild value is about £200k (purchase price is £250k-ish), contents £40k with £10k high risk. We don't have much stuff :)
 
Top Bottom