Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 47.7%

• Total voters
Associate
Nice! I've been tempted by the 14" MBP but the lead times are crazy now, also been looking at a Studio as having the 12.9 iPad I'm not sure I "need" the laptop as well, tempting as the Studio is actually in stock finally!

I'm gonna pretend that I didn't read that last part. I've got the 14" as a work machine, but my M1 Mac Mini is base spec, and I sometimes struggle with the memory, and am considering upgrading.

Caporegime
Nice! I've been tempted by the 14" MBP but the lead times are crazy now, also been looking at a Studio as having the 12.9 iPad I'm not sure I "need" the laptop as well, tempting as the Studio is actually in stock finally!
I ordered it on the 13th of April. Base specs seems to be in stock in some places but I wanted a custom build and then all the lockdown stuff happened in China.

Looking at the emails again I don't think I'll have it on Thursday, the Apple order page shows this Thursday but their dispatch email shows the 31st. What's a few days after waiting for so long? :cry:

A few more months and I'll have the 16" as well as my work laptop. Part of me is tempted to enrol my 14" to get all the certs and use it for work as my 15" i7 is a power hungry heat generating beast.

Soldato
Lots of stock for various specs come and go in stock in typical retailers. They are mostly base specs but sometimes other specs are also available. If you want something quickly it's worth taking a look regularly.

Soldato
I ordered it on the 13th of April. Base specs seems to be in stock in some places but I wanted a custom build and then all the lockdown stuff happened in China.

Looking at the emails again I don't think I'll have it on Thursday, the Apple order page shows this Thursday but their dispatch email shows the 31st. What's a few days after waiting for so long? :cry:

A few more months and I'll have the 16" as well as my work laptop. Part of me is tempted to enrol my 14" to get all the certs and use it for work as my 15" i7 is a power hungry heat generating beast.

Yeah the base models don’t really work for me, I’d want 32GB of RAM (available on Base Studio but not Base MBP 14) - and at least 1TB of Storage (MBP fine but not on the Studio!) so its quite a long wait for the spec I’d ”want”

I could pick up a 14" base spec tomorrow from my nearest store. I wouldn't want any more than that.

Not going to though, I want the Studio before I consider changing the laptop.

I could maybe get by with 512GB SSD on the base Studio but it seems a bit stingy!

Caporegime
Yeah the base models don’t really work for me, I’d want 32GB of RAM (available on Base Studio but not Base MBP 14) - and at least 1TB of Storage (MBP fine but not on the Studio!) so its quite a long wait for the spec I’d ”want”
Yeah I’ve gone for 10 core CPU with 32GB RAM and 1TB of storage.

Commissario
Not from the Apple website?
Base model 14" is showing available for store pickup today from the closest five Apple stores for me via the Apple website. Delivery is a different matter, it's showing August but you could walk into an Apple store and get one today.

Commissario
Base model 14" is showing available for store pickup today from the closest five Apple stores for me via the Apple website. Delivery is a different matter, it's showing August but you could walk into an Apple store and get one today.
I need to up memory and SSD size so very doubtful for me.

Caporegime
I need to up memory and SSD size so very doubtful for me.
You could always check the refurb store, before I ordered mine I saw a decent spec one on there. I decided against it as my mate sorted me out with student discount so the refurb discount no longer made sense and I was prepared to wait.

Personally, as someone said to me when I ordered mine - order it now via Apple for delivery, they won't take full payment until it's shipped, only a pre-auth for a day or so. It may come early, it may not. Either way, you're free to find one elsewhere and cancel the order should you find one.

Commissario
You could always check the refurb store, before I ordered mine I saw a decent spec one on there. I decided against it as my mate sorted me out with student discount so the refurb discount no longer made sense and I was prepared to wait.

Personally, as someone said to me when I ordered mine - order it now via Apple for delivery, they won't take full payment until it's shipped, only a pre-auth for a day or so. It may come early, it may not. Either way, you're free to find one elsewhere and cancel the order should you find one.
Thanks - don't want to use the refurb store as it's for business. I don't necessarily need an upgrade but the i9 with 32gb is starting to struggle with these mem dump files :/

Commissario
Thanks - don't want to use the refurb store as it's for business.
I don't think it makes any difference, does it? It still counts as new, you still pay VAT on it and you still get the full year Applecare.

/edit - But I thought the 14" and 16" were still too new for the refurb store anyway

Caporegime
I don't think it makes any difference, does it? It still counts as new, you still pay VAT on it and you still get the full year Applecare.

/edit - But I thought the 14" and 16" were still too new for the refurb store anyway
They’ve popped up, although I haven’t checked recently. They had a 14”, 10 core, 32GB, 1TB model in.

Soldato
Ordered a 14" MBP with the 10 core CPU, 32GB and 512GB SSD through work a month ago and the ETA is the last week of July :(

Top Bottom