*** The official iPhone 14 thread (no idea what it's going to have!) ***

Soldato
Hope they stick with lightning, just a much more robust port. Female port, male cable connector results in cable connector taking most of the stress.

I’ve seen so many devices with usb c destroyed due to the delicate pins inside. Along with usb controller chips blowing there load.

Soldato
I don't really care whether the port is Lightning or USB-C. I only ever plug something in when I'm driving the Tiguan as it doesn't have wireless CarPlay.

They'll be a dongle for your car for that, 'just $99, available tomorrow'.

Soldato
Hope they stick with lightning, just a much more robust port. Female port, male cable connector results in cable connector taking most of the stress.

I’ve seen so many devices with usb c destroyed due to the delicate pins inside. Along with usb controller chips blowing there load.
Have you? Unless you spent time shoving small metal items into USB C ports I'm not really sure how this is possible...

Soldato
I just posted this on the WWDC thread but seems much more pertinent to be here:

The more screenshots I see of the new lock screen, the more obvious it seems that the next iPhones (14 hopefully, but maybe 15) will have some variety of always-on display. The fact the "widgets" are very light/minimal and monotone (basically Watch Complications but on the lock screen) mean the wallpaper/background could be turned off, and then just the date, time, and lock screen widgets left dimly lit at a super-low refresh rate.

I've already made my mind up I'll be getting a 14 Pro this year, so I'm really hoping it will get an always-on display.

EDIT: I further think one of the reasons for Live Activities being delayed until after the initial iOS 16 launch is that they could offer the "always on" version of the activity. Meaning a super cut-down, read only version of the live section as already shown in the previews. Think of the "Now Playing" section just fading out to be just the title and artist in very clean, monotone text with a progress bar (which could still look good updating at 1-10Hz). Pressing on the screen (or lifting the phone) wakes the screen up and you then get the full version of it, interactive controls now active.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you? Unless you spent time shoving small metal items into USB C ports I'm not really sure how this is possible...
Yes I do repairs as a hobby, laptops, switches, controllers and phones among others.

Usb c ports or controller chips are one of the most common points of failures.

Soldato
Yes I do repairs as a hobby, laptops, switches, controllers and phones among others.

Usb c ports or controller chips are one of the most common points of failures.
Interesting! Guess people don't bother trying to send you snapped lightening cables for repair :D

Soldato
I do like the chamfered edges of the lightning ports, it makes it much easier to plug the connector in. Nevertheless a unified standard across every manufacturer will be great.

Soldato
Any ideas if higher refresh rate displays will trickle down to the base model iPhone 14's?

I want to dive into a Apple device and was tempted when my phone died. I decided to grab a cheap Poco F3 and must say, I'd find it hard going back to a 60Hz phone display.

LiE

LiE

Soldato
Any ideas if higher refresh rate displays will trickle down to the base model iPhone 14's?

I want to dive into a Apple device and was tempted when my phone died. I decided to grab a cheap Poco F3 and must say, I'd find it hard going back to a 60Hz phone display.

Unlikely on the 14, eventually it will appear, maybe on the 15.

ZP9

ZP9

Associate

Another rumoured difference between the regular and pro models now, pro to feature LPDDR5 ram whereas the regular models going to have the current LPDDR4X

Top Bottom