USB Powered Motherboard?

Associate
Hi
I'm looking to build a mini PC for controlling a telescope and doing some astrophotography.

I considered using a Raspberry PI - but they are difficult to get hold of, and subsequently, are priced higher that I'd like since I'd have to jump through a few hoops to install Windows on it.

Are there any mini factor motherboards (AMD or Intel) that can be powered via a USB (5 volts) cable (just like a Raspberry PI)?
I want to keep the PC as light-weight as possible - 2/4 GB RAM. Low power CPU.

Any thoughts? Am I stuck with going down the PI route?

Thanks
Sat

Soldato
If you buy a thin-itx motherboard, or use a pico psu, you can power it with a power brick, the same as a laptop.

Soldato
There's quite a few other options for single board computers which may have better stock?

What is the setup you're running to control it? There may be other options.

Associate
The telescope mount I have (Skywatcher EQ6R Pro) takes 12DC and has a USB power socket on it.
So that's why Raspberry Pi power (USB 5v) appeals. It'd mean no other power needed (and I use a large battery pack to supply the power to the telescope, hence no tethered power).
I'll primarily be running Nina (astronomy software) and remove desktoping to the PC.

The pico psu is a good shout. Thanks for that. It might be an option. I'll investigate.

Don
Depending on how much processing power you need, you could also look into thin clients - essentially low powered PCs normally designed for remote connecting to servers, they can normally be repurposed as low powered desktops (and some of them run on either 12V or 5V)

Plenty of info here:

Associate
Depending on how much processing power you need, you could also look into thin clients - essentially low powered PCs normally designed for remote connecting to servers, they can normally be repurposed as low powered desktops (and some of them run on either 12V or 5V)

Plenty of info here:
Cheers that's a nice web page. Would be really useful to have a column on it to indicate whether PC is supplied by a USB cable or a bespoke power supply. Cheers, regardless.

Don
Cheers that's a nice web page. Would be really useful to have a column on it to indicate whether PC is supplied by a USB cable or a bespoke power supply. Cheers, regardless.
They are mostly all powered by a psu with a barrel connector, but just a case of finding a 5v one and wiring the appropriate barrel connector to a usb connector

Top Bottom