Van hire>wall damaged(!)>insurance?

Associate
So, i hired a 7.5 Tonne van (as i have done lots of times) took out the optional CDW and knocked down the wall at the front of my rented property!

I've let the agent know (managed property) and the van hire company.

What have i missed?

If i claim (as i'm presuming my house insurance won't cover it as it was caused by me but in a van?) will this affect my future car insurance? The manager at the van hire place say's not....

Would prefer facts from people who 'know' rather than opinion. Sorry, but a wee bit stressed!

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
Afaik, its a motoring related insurance claim, so yes,you declare it to your car insurers, just as I would to my car insurers if I hit something whilst out trucking.

Man of Honour
If the damage is paid for by the insurance provided by the van hire company, it is a motoring claim and must be declared as such.

If the damage is paid for by your buildings insurance or the landlords building insurance, it is not a motoring claim and need not be declared as a claim....

BUT..

It is technically an 'accident' so if an insurer asks if you've had any accidents in the last X years, you must answer yes, but if they ask if you've had any claims and it wasnt the van hire insurance that paid out, you can say no.

I am not a lawyer, please check any advice before using it, yada yada.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;18174584 said:
If the damage is paid for by the insurance provided by the van hire company, it is a motoring claim and must be declared as such.

If the damage is paid for by your buildings insurance or the landlords building insurance, it is not a motoring claim and need not be declared as a claim....

BUT..

It is technically an 'accident' so if an insurer asks if you've had any accidents in the last X years, you must answer yes, but if they ask if you've had any claims and it wasnt the van hire insurance that paid out, you can say no.

I am not a lawyer, please check any advice before using it, yada yada.

We are "advised" at work to declare any damage to our insurers regardless if it was a vehicle or building that was hit, the point being - I guess - it was hit by a vehicle.

Another guess, is that this is merely "covering ones ass" as such, if you declare everything, the insurers can't try a get out clause...

Again, Please check advice, I'm a trucker FFS, and the last sort one should take advice from. ;):p:D

Soldato
i love how you start with so i hired a truck, insured it and knocked down a wall, almost as if you meant to knock the wall down with the truck.

Soldato
LOL.. It sounds like the sole purpose for hiring the van was to knock down the wall.

Top Bottom