Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
So, I've got it together. Typing on it now, in fact.

I think it'll take some getting used to (i might need a wrist rest) but feels really nice. I like the sound but initially it was a little metallic. So, i followed some of the tips @davetherave2 mentioned above (thank you) and did a quick force break mod with some black electrical tape, didn't screw everything back quite as hard and the metallic ping has gone. Amazing the difference that it's made for such a cheap and simple fix.

I'm going to try get a more muted (or even creamy?) sound if possible with some additional or different material in the case bottom. Although I've also got some samples of silent linear switches on the way so, that might be a direction to take.
Tape mod might be worth a try if you want a more muted sound. Easy to undo if you don't like it.

Associate
Snaffled myself a Zoom65 Olivia Light edition, just need to decide if I'm going to build it ANSI or ISO. An earlier review on the board said that the keycaps were a bit hit & miss so might be worth getting a good set & building it ISO, either way going to be a nice upgrade from my Ducky Shine.

Soldato
Snaffled myself a Zoom65 Olivia Light edition, just need to decide if I'm going to build it ANSI or ISO. An earlier review on the board said that the keycaps were a bit hit & miss so might be worth getting a good set & building it ISO, either way going to be a nice upgrade from my Ducky Shine.

Nice. I got mine up and running over the week, I didn't go with the Olivia set as I wanted ISO as well but now have nicePBT Noel on it.

6V2qzDm.jpg

RX2OWiB.jpg

Also have put my Della Key Artisan on it was well. Such a pretty board and although I am still getting used to the smaller size this will be a great portable board.

I did have an issue with some switches not wanting to stay in securely so wasn't sure if that was just using the PC plate or just me not pushing hard enough to make sure I didn't damage the hotswap sockets.

Associate
Very nice, great keycaps:) I have a feeling I'll build it ANSI to start with but no doubt I'll get tempted down the line. Haven't used ANSI before but can't imagine it'll take much getting used to.

Soldato
Very nice, great keycaps:) I have a feeling I'll build it ANSI to start with but no doubt I'll get tempted down the line. Haven't used ANSI before but can't imagine it'll take much getting used to.

Noel is one of my favourite keycap sets and colourways. I hope one day there will be another round of the GMK version but it is great the designer has been working with nicePBT to get sets out at a more affordable price point. Also one of the few sets I own which supports full UK ISO as well.

My only problem with switching to ANSI is that I hit the # key because of where I would usually press the ISO Enter. But other than that I have managed to adapt ok to ANSI (still prefer my UK ISO format as my preferred layout).

Now it is time to wait until late July/August for hopefully my other Zoom65 EE and CW88 to arrive and then I can get those built and have one of my "end game" boards arrive.

Top Bottom