What would £5k buy someone today?

Soldato
I probably won't get rid, just having a think ;)
Good man you cannot easily get another similar experience this side of double the money ;) I'm thinking of buying another actually! Why have 1 when you can have 2!! its not possible to order a new one in the UK anymore but EU countries are still taking & delivering orders for LHD models...

Associate
An older Mini Cooper S?
Does that meet the 'reliable' request?

I thought older Minis suffered from a number of reliability issues?

Someone has already mentioned the mx-5 which is the obvious choice. Or slightly more leftfield an MR2 roadster?

Soldato
OP
Bringing this up again as back on the fence !

Decided a saloon of some sort would suit us well.

Maybe a 2006/7 Honda accord or Mazda 6 something like that. Can seem to get one with good miles for their age within £4-5k

Last edited:
Associate
Another shout for a 182. Had two in the past.

Cheap as chips on consumables and plenty in the graveyard if you need cheap replacement parts. Cliosport forum is a good resource too.

I had several MK 2 and MK 3 Clios and the MK 3 is a much better built car.

Soldato
Bringing this up again as back on the fence !

Decided a saloon of some sort would suit us well.

Maybe a 2006/7 Honda accord or Mazda 6 something like that. Can seem to get one with good miles for their age within £4-5k
If going for a Mazda 6, if you go post 2014 ish, they're alot better quality underneath as the older ones rusted to hell and needed all sorts of work, terrible just liuke the undersides of the RX8's...

What about a Saab 93? Fast as hell, comfy as hell, well built, I've had two 93's, both Aero's and been exceptional cars if you're loooking that era!!!

One of the best looking convertibles as well...

Saab Aero Convertible

Saab Aero Wagon!!!

Soldato
A4 cabrios are dead cheap. You'll pay bog-standard Golf money, for a car that cost 50% more when new. Interior is a bit dated.

Bought one last year for £3,400 and haven't regretted it at all, other than not being especially quick. Faster ones cost a bit more (mine's a 2.0 TDI).

Soldato
OP
A4 cabrios are dead cheap. You'll pay bog-standard Golf money, for a car that cost 50% more when new. Interior is a bit dated.

Bought one last year for £3,400 and haven't regretted it at all, other than not being especially quick. Faster ones cost a bit more (mine's a 2.0 TDI).

Thanks for the suggestion!

I quite like those, looks like a fair bit of car for the money!

I'm after something that won't cost a bomb to service/maintain year to year, how do these fare?

Top Bottom