• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will the 5800X3D be in stock?

Associate
I've not heard of any reliability issues, just heat. However, in games temperatures are fine and that's what people bought it for after all (temperatures are going to be bad in Prime 95 and hot in Cinebench no matter the cooling, but that's not why you buy the processor).

I hope MSI releases a BIOS that allows a lower temperature limit to be set. Or AMD could clarify that 90C Is not the actual max safe temp. If I stress mine long enough it will register 90.xx degrees.

I set my 5950X to 87 degrees in BIOS and feel perfectly comfortable letting it render a video or something and walking away.

I would not sleep well if I let my 5800X3D run full load overnight.

AMD doesn't want these chips overclocked but I hope they give us the option to dial them back a bit in the BIOS.

Soldato
@Chapchap27, ignore him. I checked the Members market and apparently 'plenty' means all of 3 that were for sale recently. One person wanted a CPU with more cores for transcoding, one person was too busy to build a new PC and had a load of CPU's he was off loading and a 5800X3D so happened to be in the mix (along with 5 other CPU's and some graphic cards). One other person had one for sale which he bought as an impulse buy but didn't consider he would need to upgrade his cooling solution to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope MSI releases a BIOS that allows a lower temperature limit to be set. Or AMD could clarify that 90C Is not the actual max safe temp. If I stress mine long enough it will register 90.xx degrees.

I set my 5950X to 87 degrees in BIOS and feel perfectly comfortable letting it render a video or something and walking away.

I would not sleep well if I let my 5800X3D run full load overnight.

AMD doesn't want these chips overclocked but I hope they give us the option to dial them back a bit in the BIOS.
You can undervolt (those who have the chip on here can help you). What cooler are you using? This CPU is designed purely to extract the maximum performance in games, compromises were made in other areas to achieve this (although AMD have determined 90C max temperature is safe, the CPU has lots of safety features built-in so I wouldn't worry).

Associate
You can undervolt (those who have the chip on here can help you). What cooler are you using? This CPU is designed purely to extract the maximum performance in games, compromises were made in other areas to achieve this (although AMD have determined 90C max temperature is safe, the CPU has lots of safety features built-in so I wouldn't worry).
The single fan version of the D15 is the cooler. Being able to have it start dithering voltage and frequency just a little sooner would side step stability testing and keep it from ever going over 90C by even 0.2v or whatever.

The max temp adjustment is the easy button, and shouldn't be an issue for AMD if it only allows for lower values than stock.

Associate
I was lucky and was able to sell my 5800x and get the 5800x3d it does run cooler. I have tried -30 offset which works a treat on all cores and have not seen in performance drops in games.

Associate
I have a 5800x3d on order for a new system build (X570S Aorus Pro AX). I keep seeing this "-30 offset" being mentioned. Pardon my noobiness, but is there an idiot's guide to how to set this up?

Soldato
Associate
I couldn’t wait as really not sure about near future/future stock so managed to find a place in the UK ( ask a PAL wIth a COMP about it) for £450. Next day delivery so will get it tomorrow. Woohoo!

Caporegime
I couldn’t wait as really not sure about near future/future stock so managed to find a place in the UK ( ask a PAL wIth a COMP about it) for £450. Next day delivery so will get it tomorrow. Woohoo!
Nl20az1.mp4
Nl20az1.mp4
w2wqffH.gif

Top Bottom