World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Fair!

I just played some Res Evil The Village on this and man it's awesome, the perfect game to showcase what OLED is all about. Pitch black rooms only lit up with your torch is something else. Coupled with HDR and max settings, it is a great experience. Shame you have to faff with settings initially as it's all set up by default from a console gaming perspective.
Ye I get you. PC is never a plug and play experience like consoles. I guess a pro of that is we get to have cutting edge technology first :D OLED is great but QD OLED is the next level, I think QD OLED is better for pc monitors IIRC. Overall QD OLED is superior to OLED. BTW is HDR a good experience if the game does not natively support HDR?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Auto HDR feature in Windows that converts SDR games to HDR? I've not used the feature to be honest as have yet to see any evidence to support it being any good so don't want to bother with faffing around etc really.

Edit*
Wow so just noticed that if you enable the HDR mode in Res Evil The Village then it triggers the Windows HDR mode automatically when you launch the game, so there's no need to manually enable HDR in Windows for this game and then turn it off after gaming. It uses the Smart HDR feature of the display like how TVs work and how MPC-BE works with the MPC Video Renderer set to pass through HDR signal to display. This is the first game I have played that auto triggers HDR on launch. Excellent stuff!

Last edited:
Associate
The input lag is something that's confuses me also. The monitor isn't doing any processing and we know the response times aren't holding it back. So I'm not sure what dell is doing to getting such a high figure. I certainly feel it's an area that could be improved via a FW update but Dell isn't known for those.

Last edited:
Associate
Guy on Reddit replaced them with noctuas so it is possible

I saw that. Definitely a brave guy.

It does make me wonder when there's a lot of comments suggesting people would never even have known it had a fan without being told. Maybe mine is louder than average. It doesn't sound like a defective fan though.

Last night the second breathing fan was ramping up twice back to back every 10-15 seconds and all I'm doing is sat on the desktop. Standard profile, default brightness, HDR off.

It seems random.

Associate
My order moved to "shipped" this morning. UPS Label created at 7am. Apparently coming tomorrow. We shall see!

Associate
I cleaned a small area of the screen with an apple polishing cloth and it got micro scratches on the screen afterwards.

They aren't visible when using the monitor but annoying that the coating is so fragile on it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I use this two sided MF cloth for cleaning the panel, the yellow side is for glass etc and has yet to micro scratch the surface:

2sEdWSH.jpg

Associate
I use this two sided MF cloth for cleaning the panel, the yellow side is for glass etc and has yet to micro scratch the surface:

I'm going to stick to one of those types in future, the Apple cloth definitely caused the scratches. The coating is not durable at all.

Fortunately mine has a stuck pixel so I'm going to do a warranty replacement on it at some point anyway.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I got a set of 5 of these from amazon btw!
Tend to give the screen a once over every day as it's a habit from the matte coated IPS where dust would settle overnight so just continuing that routine really.

TNA

TNA

Soldato
I got a set of 5 of these from amazon btw!
Tend to give the screen a once over every day as it's a habit from the matte coated IPS where dust would settle overnight so just continuing that routine really.
Every day!?! And people think I over do it :cry::D

Associate
I cleaned a small area of the screen with an apple polishing cloth and it got micro scratches on the screen afterwards.

They aren't visible when using the monitor but annoying that the coating is so fragile on it.
Yeah I had that happen when I tried to rub something off that wasn't going to come off without a bit of water. Been a lot more careful since.

That said with how fragile it is I've kinda just expected micro scratches really, seems so easy to do that it feels inevitable.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Mine has developed a dead pixel right near the middle :(

Just stuck a panel refresh on to see if it brings it back to life.

Top Bottom